1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to support Unrest in the Oscar race

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Sasha, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Been through and Yes'd the good reviews (i.e. most of them), but a really off-kilter comment is from someone who obviously has had severe ME for a long time, illustrates how some people think you don't have ME unless you are at death's door ...
    I No'd it inevitably.

Andy and Valentijn like this.
  2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@MErmaid

Sorry, the link seems to redirect to the main page. This is the page I meant to link to:
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-20 um 00.32.26.png

I'm unable to edit the picture to add a circle. Next to "metascore" is "reviews" and the next line says "44 user", "36 critic" and you can click on critic.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-20 um 00.26.35.png

Andy and MErmaid like this.
  3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

You go girl!!!!

Keep up the ”roaring”, people will listen (wake up) eventually. You motivated me!!

:emoji_hamster:

Little Bluestem, Joh and Allele like this.
  4. Joh

http://www.oscars.org/news/90th-oscars-nominations-announcement

A surprisingly exact time was published when to expect the Oscar nomination announcement at January 23: 5:38:30 a.m. PST :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Andy, Forbin, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  5. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Joh likes this.
  6. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the shortlist was agreed over a week ago? Can't remember where I read that tho'.

7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Joh, or anyone, help please

How do I buy a DVD copy of Unrest? I have bought it on Amazon prime and when I go onto Amazon, I am immediately told I own it and do I want to watch it.
    I want to buy a DVD for a family member. Cannot find that option.

Joh likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It appears not to be available from Amazon on DVD. I bought it from the Unrest website:
    https://www.unrest.film/store/

Binkie4 and Joh like this.
  9. Joh

You bought the stream on Amazon prime. So you now own the stream and can watch Unrest on your computer (or tv if it has an internet connection). As Trish wrote, the DVD is only available to order at the Unrest stores (UK and US). Here is an overview: https://www.unrest.film/watch/#digital

Andy, Binkie4 and Trish like this.
  10. Joh

Hi, yes, the shortlist was published in December. First round: 170 documentaries were selected (November?). Then 15 of these 170 documentaries made it on the shortlist (December). From the 15 shortlisted documentaries 5 will be nominated for an Oscar in the category "documentary feature". This happens on January 23rd and is a big deal because it would mean (I believe) that among other stuff and a lot of media reports the Unrest crew would be invited to the Oscars and Unrest could use the title "Oscar nominated". And on the Oscars on March 3rd one documentary from the 5 nominees will get the Oscar. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. Personally I was never at all interested in the Oscars and never watched them (unlike other Germans who stay up all night) and this is all new to me too.

MErmaid, Andy, Forbin and 5 others like this.
  11. Joh

I wonder if they made a mistake and mean p.m. and not a.m.? Isn't that very early morning, or am I confused? Does this sound right?

Little Bluestem, Andy and Trish like this.
  12. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Joh thanks for your reply - sorry but I confused shortlist with nomination - I thought the nominations were already decided but will be announced on the 23rd.
    whether that's right or not I still think it's important to support the film as you have been doing

Joh likes this.
  13. Joh

In case anyone else wondered if 5 am is a mistake. I now learnt in the group "Time for Unrest" that it's apparently common that they announce it early and it makes all the morning shows in the US. Good for us in Europe (14:38 Germany and 13:38 UK).

Little Bluestem, Andy, Forbin and 2 others like this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if some of the over-the top attacks on Unrest could even do it good? They sound so unreasonable that it makes Brea's work seem more impressive.

I don't think that any film on ME/CFS could unite patients, and there are certainly things about Unrest that I wish were different, but some of the people criticising it most harshly sound pretty odd.

Viola, petrichor, Andy and 5 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The bad reviews seem to be from ME patients saying ME isn't CFS and quoting Dr Hyde.

Valentijn and petrichor like this.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

2 of the 4 poor reviews are probably from the same person. Or names starting with "ccharlesi" are just really popular on IMDB :p

Little Bluestem, Joh, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just going to post about this. By an amazing coincidence, both "CCharlesi..." have written positive reviews about different pro nuclear power documentaries. What are the odds?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Little Bluestem, Joh, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Another 1 star review is by the user wildaisyfl - who I recognise from Reddit where they were posting nasty stuff about other patients during turbulent times last year.

Joh, Aroa, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  19. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Events are listed in Hollywood time (Pacific Standard Time). Here are the details:

https://www.oscars.org/news/90th-oscars-nominations-announcement

The 90th Academy Awards® nominations in all 24 Oscar® categories will be announced in a two-part, live presentation on Tuesday, January 23, via global live stream on Oscar.com, Oscars.org, the Academy’s digital platforms, a satellite feed and local broadcasters. The announcement will combine live presentations from the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater, with pre-taped category introductions, which will only be featured in the first half of the announcement.

At 5:22 a.m. PST, the nominees will be announced in the following categories (listed here in no particular order): Cinematography, Costume Design, Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

At 5:38:30 a.m. PST, the nominees will be announced in the following categories (listed here in no particular order): Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Leading Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Animated Feature Film, Directing, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, Foreign Language Film, Original Song, Best Picture, Adapted Socreenplay and Original Screenplay.

Little Bluestem, Aroa, Allele and 4 others like this.
  20. Joh