1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to support Unrest in the Oscar race

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Sasha, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From @Joh on another thread:

In the Time for Unrest Facebook group people asked Jen if it's possible to support Unrest in the "Oscar race". Here is a summary of the ideas. Everything can be done from bed. :)

1. Rate Unrest on IMDb (important): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268850/
    2. Rate/write reviews on iTunes, Amazon and other platforms
    3. Jen thinks that commenting positively on all awards coverage from here on out would be very helpful. To help people reading this coverage see that there is a passionate audience for this film, a movement behind it and even bigger themes/issues than people realize.

She said, that the greatest challenge is that this film isn't about a big issue that everyone cares about (and that we would not be marginalized otherwise). And that it's helpful to show in the comments what universal issues Unrest relates to, e.g.
    - healthcare
    - disability rights
    - disbelieving women's stories
    - invisibility and marginalization of 17 million people worldwide

Unrest is the only self-distributed film on the list. I know nothing about the film industry, but apparently the other films on the list also have "awards publicists", but Unrest hasn't (because it wouldn't be the best use of funds, they want to use them for the impact campaign).

In addition to other awards coverage, it's also possible to comment on the Oscar website (article about the 15 documentary features) directly: http://www.oscars.org/news/15-docum...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    MErmaid, Justy, Andy and 3 others like this.
  3. Joh

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Go on academy members, this is the year to use some tokenism to show you're not sexist or racist or ableist... and you can do it with an award that most of you don't even care about!

MErmaid, Andy, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  5. Joh

Bumping this thread: Please rate Unrest on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268850/?ref_=tt_urv

You don't need to take the time and energy to write a review, even a one-klick-rating helps!

Not just for the Oscars. It's the most important rating site.
    There are some people trying to discredit Unrest everywhere and rate it with one star and write 1-star-reviews, so we need more good ratings to compensate for that. I would be totally ok with it if they just didn't like the film, but it's not about the film at all, it's a mission about infectious Miscovits-stuff etc (judging from the comments).
    I'm lying here bedridden and lost 15 years of my life and I'm not willing to let this huge chance for change go. Not sure what the people who hate on Unrest and claim no one in the film has ME etc have planned instead to change this situation or if they prefer that nothings happens for 50 more years.
    We didn't have a single review in Germany so far and only two screenings. I'm working on writing to journalists but we need every help we can get to interest journalists in Unrest (an Oscar nomination, really good ratings etc.). Reading this took more time than doing the rating. :)

Thank you! Help yourself after your hard work --->:cookie::cake: :cookie::cake:

6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

7. Aroa

Aroa Established Member (Voting Rights)

Me too

Thank you for letting us know @Joh

8. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done 10Stars.jpg

To say the film is controversial seems like an understatement, I saw a lot of 1 star and 10 star ratings

MErmaid, Little Bluestem, Joh and 4 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Breakdown in scoring at time of posting.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 18.08.01.png
    I think that shows some pretty strong support, and shows how small a minority are against it.

MErmaid, EzzieD, dannybex and 9 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too.

Thanks@Joh

MErmaid, Little Bluestem, Joh and 4 others like this.
  12. MarcNotMark

MarcNotMark Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This list seems a bit more balanced.

My remark was on the 36 ratings that contain a written review.
    Here I see two 1 star ratings, two 2 star ratings and the rest is all 10 stars.

Little Bluestem, Joh, Aroa and 2 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think the table must show the combination of written reviews and scores from people who just rated it. People who want to undermine it will likely be more motivated to write a review than your average "rater".

Little Bluestem, Joh, Trish and 2 others like this.
  14. Joh

This is also quite interesting, rating by sex, age, US/non-US. Women like Unrest on average better than men. :)

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-14 um 21.18.32.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    MErmaid, Andy and Aroa like this.
  15. Joh

You're right and I guess I made it sound a little too dramatic. :) But the 1 star ratings are able to drag the end result down. The number was higher than now and dropped with bad ratings. In comparison, Forgotten Plague has an 8,8. The current rating 8,4 is ok, but more average and not as interesting-looking as a 9 star rating. The bad ratings and reviews got a little more during the last days, that made me think maybe more are coming.
    Edit: Everybody who made an account could also support Voices from the Shadows and Forgotten Plague on IMDb.

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I don't blame them, a film is less likely to be argumentative.. ;)

Forbin, Graham, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  17. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disregarding the 2 youngsters, older adults seem to like it better than younger adults. I would guess this is because as you get older, you begin to experience some health problems and can better relate to the people in the film.

Joh and Aroa like this.
  18. Joh

998 votes on IMDb. Your chance to become the nice numbers 999 or 1000. :)
    Seems to be impossible to reach 8.5 as also more negative votes were added (and two blogposts were published with the claim that Unrest harms pwME and anti-Unrest people started posting ridiculous auccusations everywhere :banghead:).

TiredSam, Binkie4, Trish and 4 others like this.
  19. Joh

Added 15 reviews today in the “critic“ section on the IMDb Unrest page. Somehow thought the professional reviews would be added automatically, but all of the important ones in big newspapers and magazines were missing. Feel free to add more reviews from critics if you like, it's easy-peasy: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268850/?ref_=ttexrv_exrv_tt

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  20. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Done :)

My iPad app was lame, so used the http method.

But I can’t seem to update the professional critics review section. Could you please provide a screen shot and/or steps?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Little Bluestem likes this.