1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

For the ICD-10 release for 2019, the term "Benign" has been deprecated.

Discussion in 'Disease coding' started by Dx Revision Watch, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The most recent release of the WHO's ICD-10 online browser is now available.

For ICD-10: Version 2019, the term "Benign" has been deprecated.

The "Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis" term is now listing as an Index term.

The Inclusion term under G93.3 Postviral fatigue syndrome is now specified as "Myalgic encephalomyelitis".

This decision sets a precedent decision for ICD-11.

If the update and revision committee for ICD-10 has been prepared to make this change for the final release for ICD-10, there is a very good chance that this change can be carried forward and implemented for ICD-11 and I shall be submitting a new proposal for this tomorrow.

Please see this post in the ICD-11 update thread and for screenshot:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-20#post-235662

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ahimsa, Simon M and 21 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sunshine3, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

Thank you @Lidia and @Invisible Woman but I have had no direct input into the ICD-10 update and revision process.

The annual and three yearly schedule for update, correction and revision of ICD-10 used to be the responsibility of the WHO Update and Revision Committee (URC). It wasn't a public process and proposals for changes would be submitted by the global WHO-FIC Collaborating Centres for the URC's consideration.

The ICD-11 Classifications and Statistics Advisory Commitee (CSAC) has replaced the URC:

https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/revision/en/

"[The CSAC] replaces the former Update and Revision Committee (URC). The CSAC is composed of representatives from the WHO Family of International Classifications Network, including WHO Collaborating Centres from different countries, NGOs, other group Co-Chairs, and additional experts selected by WHO. The primary role of the CSAC is to support WHO in the maintenance and update of WHO classifications, particularly ICD-11, through providing advice to WHO related to keeping the classifications up to date, in line with current knowledge, and relevant to the purposes for which they were designed.

"CSAC will consider proposals from within the Network and from the public, and will make final recommendations to WHO on those proposals, as well as on updates to user guidance and on other related subjects."

It may be the case that one of the WHO Collaborating Centres had submitted for this change for what will be the final release of ICD-10, or it may have been proposed by the CSAC, itself.

At this point, I simply don't know. Nor do I know whether it is safe to assume that CSAC will carry this change forward to ICD-11 - though I can see no justification now for WHO/CSAC not approving the deprecation of "Benign" for ICD-11.

Mary Dimmock and I had submitted for the deprecation of the "Benign" term in our multi-part proposal of March 27, 2017 but this (along with the rest of our proposals) had been rejected. Since then, I've requested the rationale for rejection (which WHO has not provided) and have also submitted further evidence in support of the original request that was submitted by me and Mary.

I'd like to get this approved before the next release of the Blue ICD-11 MMS Implementation platform is published - a new release is anticipated this year. So I shall be submitting a new proposal today.

When a new release of ICD-10 is issued, the WHO posts a Zip file containing the changes between the last release and the latest iteration. These update packages are posted on this page: https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/icd10updates/en/

But the Official WHO Updates 2019 Package listed on this page is for changes up to 2017. When the package that contains the changes for the 2019 release is posted, I'll have a quick skim.

We have Storm Ciara to contend with today. It was very rough in the night and we had at least one power cut. If I cannot upload a submission today because the router is down, I'll do it tomorrow morning.

I'd like to acknowledge Mary's work on the multi-part proposal submitted jointly in March 2017 and on our joint response to the (since rejected) proposal submitted in November 2017, by WHO staffer, Dr Tarun Dua.

MEMarge, alktipping, Anna H and 13 others like this.
  5. Dx Revision Watch

6. Dx Revision Watch

Aroa, Simbindi, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

Update:

I have now established the origin and date of submission for the proposal to retire the "Benign" prefix for ICD-10.

Please see Post #398 in the main ICD-11 thread for the proposal history:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-20#post-236090

I have also edited my submission to ICD-11 to include the information that it has come to my attention that a similar proposal had already been accepted by the ICD-10 URC (Update and Revision Committee) in 2016 for implementation in ICD-10 from 1/2018:

My revised ICD-11 proposal text in Post #388:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-20#post-235857

Simbindi and rvallee like this.