1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling like ‘a damaged battery’: exploring the lived experiences of UK university students with ME/CFS, 2021, Waite, Elliot

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Wyva, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ABSTRACT

Introduction: Research regarding students with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) has been limited. This study aimed to understand how their subjective well-being had been affected by their condition by exploring their experiences and sense-making processes.

Methods
    Semi-structured interviews were conducted with eight students using video-calling software and were enriched by asking participants to think of a metaphor to describe their illness. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis was used to analyze the interviews.

Results
    Three themes were developed: University as (de)legitimizing, Negotiating disclosure and Loss and adaptation. Rosenberg’s conceptualization of self-esteem was used as a framework to explore the findings as it reflected participants’ accounts and provided an insight into their subjective well-being. Participants discussed their reduced self-esteem through experiences of delegitimization and stigma at their universities, as well as how they became more accepting of their illness and increased their self-esteem.

Conclusion
    This study provides an understanding of how the lives of students with ME/CFS have been affected by their condition, including their experiences at university and in their social context. Participants raised potential avenues in which universities can act in a supportive manner to be empowering and enhance self-esteem, which is important due to the debated nature of the illness.

Open access: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2021.1969800