1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback from Stakeholder Engagement Workshop for the NICE guidelines on ME, Jan 2018

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Keela Too, Jan 16, 2018.

1. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interested in this topic of "OI in PwME" (from recent experience) but will take it away to another thread in Symptoms....... somehow .......may need techie help.......please?!

Edit - ohhh, managing the tech stuff, slowly......

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rigorous evidence that they don't work, or that they cause harm, or both? (Apologies if this has already been asked/answered)

3. Alice

Alice Established Member (Voting Rights)

Great to see that at least one table raised HR pacing. It is also necessary to get food/chemical/environmental intolerances into the guidelines and the ease of identifying them with HR monitoring - these are a nightmare especially for anyone needing care outside the home and/or medical/dental work done. Sleep- hopefully the unique sleep issues ie under sleeping or too much exertion = tired and wired. Only using the bed for sleep doesn't work when you live in bed. Rest = a set range within resting HR (nominally 110%) - surely there is some research somewhere on this? If not can some be done quickly?

Justy, Esperanza and Binkie4 like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This would be helpful. Welcome to the S4ME

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ME Research UK's feedback
    Quote above looks to be their opinion on the meeting, the rest seems to explain the processes involved http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/nice-guideline-review-stakeholder-workshop-jan-2018/

6. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

“First, do no harm” from an ethical standpoint and acknowledging the exercise intolerance (SEID) that the IOM included in it's 2015 report. Removing criteria such as the Oxford criteria as the NIH Statement is unambiguous that the Oxford criteria are flawed and lack reliability, thereby confounding the ability to interpret results drawn from studies which used them to select cohorts and noting that use of the Oxford criteria may impair progress and cause harm, therefore no research using them can be considered rigorous or valid for the patients the guidelines are written for.
    Service provision for the severe and very severe that cannot attend clinics or partake of the currently issued advice that fails roughly 25% of the patient community is another elephant in the room.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice :).
    Inevitably. This is just the beginning, but a very important beginning by the sound of it.

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given that the clinics and the currently issued advice is harmful doesn't it fail 100% of pwME?

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The UK Biobank have put out a brief statement

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably... but I suspect it will be hard to get widespread excitement for a campaign like that, particularly in the face of other people promoting questionable but exciting 'science', and the prospect of rapid access to effective treatments.

I agree with Edwards & co that there's a real conflict between anyone 1) wanting to remove CBT/GET because there's no good evidence that they're useful and 2) wanting to insert some speculative treatment with no good evidence of efficacy.

If people do start trying to promote unfounded treatments, it gives Wessely/Sharpe/etc something to exploit.

11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take your point but I think there could be a 'Tell us honestly there's nothing' when it comes to RCT-backed therapies.

ahimsa, Sean, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  12. Barry

I think one of the major failures of the system is that adverse reactions are not identified, reported, tracked, investigated, nor results published; be it normal doctor/patient interactions, trials, whatever. It's disgusting. In the aircraft industry, which has parallel safety responsibilities, an operator is legally bound to report any serious incident. The AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Board, which also covers serious incidents a.k.a. near misses) may then investigate that incident. If we had the equivalent in the medical world, people would be much better protected, and science might acquire crucial data currently denied them. It's probably why civil air transport is so safe, and I'm sure much more so than PwME at the hands of the medical experts.

13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree @Barry Also I think it is a concern that there is a yellow card system for pharmaceuticals, but not for psychological/psychiatric therapies. So how can GPs and patients officially report problems with GET/CBT?

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, I was meaning insisting on no recommendation without rigorous evidence for efficacy (which we are without).

15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that one got through to the facilitators and I think we can be optimistic it will be allowed through on new guidelines - an emphasis on regular checks to ensure something important is not being missed.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Hutan, janice, Justy and 17 others like this.
  16. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm hopeful we'll end up getting much improved guidelines, but I think we have to be cautious and remember the past to be sure we do get these improved guidelines and not be taken in with NICE nice speak.

The MERUK report mentions how there will be patients advocates and all these noble things NICE sets out to do with their guidelines and the whole process, blah blah.

These were all in place in 2007 and it made not a jot of difference, they steam rolled their way through the whole process making sure their agenda was fulfilled.

So real hope but caution.

17. Barry

Never knew about this. So we can report adverse incidents regarding all kinds of medicines and medical devices, yet no mechanism whatsoever for reporting adverse incidents form psychiatric interventions? I would have thought there should be a reporting mechanism for all kinds of medical interventions, be they psychiatric, physiotherapy, whatever. To me that seems barmy. You did say you were looking forward to getting stuck in @Carolyn Wilshire ( :D ), so can ask for your thoughts on this?

18. Barry

Absolutely. I tend to worry about this one re my wife.

19. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Barry

Yes, that's what I understand ... my post maybe was a bit confusing. Yes, I agree. As we sort issues out here ( :D ) maybe that could be an area to focus on.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018