1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ethical classification of ME/CFS in the United Kingdom (2019) Diane O'Leary

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Barry, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we get this printed out in big bold letters & made into a sticker for every non BPS committee member to stick on the top of their notes!

LOL am only half joking!

Trish and Barry like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume one of those references to "medical" should be "mental"?

ladycatlover, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes

ladycatlover, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me there is a key point that gets forever overlooked and conflated. Most pwME do not primarily object to the mental health diagnosis because of the stigma, but for a much more valid reason - it is a misdiagnosis pure and simple, with all the risks and concerns that accompany any misdiagnosis, whatever the medical condition. Moreover that misdiagnosis is systemic, spawned as it is from deeply flawed evidence. To me it is not about mental versus physical, but about persistent misdiagnosis. pwME would be just as hacked off, and rightly so, if ME were forever misdiagnosed as an ingrowing toenail. It's just that the misdiagnosis in this case is one of having a mental health issue.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Sarah94, Mithriel, andypants and 21 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

The proof of that are the ME sufferers who also have mental health issues and have no problem accepting that, talking about it openly with no sense of stigma at all, and no objection to their therapy or medication.

Sarah94, Mithriel, andypants and 16 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

In preparing material for a revision of the clinical care recommendations for a district health board, our draft has removed CBT and GET as treatments on the basis that there is no evidence that these help people with ME/CFS. However, we have recognised that simply not recommending CBT and GET is not enough to prevent medical professionals making unfounded judgements and pushing other un-evidenced treatments based on their own prejudices, or to prevent people with ME or their families doing the same.

Therefore we have noted theories that are not supported by good evidence as well.

I think it's possible to address the faulty illness beliefs of the BPS proponents as well as getting rid of CBT and GET using an evidence based approach.

7. Barry

Exactly.

8. Barry

[my bold]

If all that that implied were supported by good scientific evidence, then that would be fine. But of course it's not, yet still they smile/smirk.

rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Discrediting opposition by painting it as irrational is a classic political strategy. It is only used by people who know they cannot win on the strength of their arguments, but rather choose to shift the debate over trivialities.

That it is used at all is a travesty. It just shows that the "controversy" is entirely over politics and ideology, not science. It is also a very big tell that it is framed from their personal perspective, that it is an "attack" on their profession, when we actually don't care or think about them beyond what they are forcing on us.

Had it been podiatrists, chiropractors or ob/gyns who had made such extraordinary claims the response would have been the same: wrong on substance. This framing of being about the stigma of mental health is made entirely from their personal point-of-view and has no bearing on the actual substance.

There are plenty of other quacks making all sorts of different claims about how to treat this disease and many others. There is no shortage of people claiming they have an easy cure for all cancers and infectious diseases. We do not pay attention to those because they have not captured the policy-making process. Institutions are supposed to filter out quacks making extraordinary claims without any evidence, not let them run the show as they have here.

That the psychs make it all about them and tiny little world, their career and pet theory, says it all. They cannot seem to factor reality outside of their wants, especially not the actual needs of patients. This is a common feature of ideologues of all stripes. It's also the biggest red flag in the damn world that they're full of crap.

Mithriel, andypants, Sean and 12 others like this.
  10. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I agree it's important not so see this as medical or mental.

It also is not good tactics: Some of the people working in this field who support us or who remain open to hearing our case are those who are fighting the 'critical psychiatry' people who try to deny there is anything but the 'psychological' and who think everything is down to personality and experience and can be treated by psychotherapy.

If we are seen as against psychiatry and 'mental illness', we would alienate those people and indeed lose credibility. It is one of the ironies, I think, that we're actually on the side of psychiatry and against a handful of psychiatrists, led by the former President of their College, who are seeking to explain our illness in behavioural terms.

Sarah94, Mithriel, andypants and 8 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, but to me this isn't solely about credibility in the eyes of others. I think its possible that other forms of psychotherapy might actually help some ME patients, for example in dealing with a chronic debilitating illness that makes you lose friends, hobbies and everything else, or coming to grips with the opportunities missed, the fact that you're no longer the person you used to be or hoped to become etc. Would be great if ME patients had access to a psychotherapist who validates their illness and the psychological difficulties that come with it. A biomedical treatment is probably years away, so this kind of psychological support might be one of the few things the medical profession can do to help (a subgroup of) ME patients. So I don't want a fight against psychiatry or mental care, I want them to help us.

Mithriel, rvallee, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  12. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yes, absolutely. I just meant in terms of treating the illness. I didn't mean to suggest that I was against psychotherapy in itself. And in fact that's another point those psychiatrists make.

Mithriel, rvallee, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  13. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most pubs have at least one barkeep that could do pretty much the same. Or clergy person.

Patients would have to make it to the saloon or church, though - then again, the same holds true with traveling to a talk therapist.

MEMarge, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will seriously put up a good fight to name this disease Catch-22 disease. It will probably fail, but damn is it the most appropriate one.

I'm all up for good psychiatrists, that's likely most of them. But definitely not for those that make extraordinary claims without any ordinary evidence and recklessly promote an ideology with complete disregard for the suffering it inflicts.

It's disappointing that good psychiatrists don't see it as enough of a problem to do something. It will enormously hurt the field's reputation, and rightfully so. Maybe that's the kick in the shin that it needs to finally learn lessons from repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

andypants and MEMarge like this.
  15. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It strikes me that the last dozen or so posts since and including Jonathon's sum up a lot of sensible, coherent rebuttal to the BPS position. Perhaps someone should distill the major points into a S4ME position paper that is put somewhere prominent so the ideas don't get lost. It would be mostly a matter of copy and paste I think, provided the original authors agree.

MEMarge, Amw66 and Barry like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

These posts along with the detailed posts by @Dx Revision Watch prompted me to do some digging into the research on which the varied claims about the prevalence of MUS are based. I have started a new thread about it so as not to derail this thread:
    Is it true that more than half of medical consultations are for MUS? A look at the evidence.

Mithriel, andypants, Lidia and 7 others like this.
  17. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Im quite happy to say CBT and SSRIs have helped me immensely to cope with my OCD. I’m also happy to say it’s done bugger all for my ME/CFS.

Sarah94, Mithriel, andypants and 7 others like this.