1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Crawley talk at TEDxBristol, Thurs 2nd Bristol - "Disrupting Your View Of ME"

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In an effort to be helpful to some users, the twitter address for the tweet from Jen Brea is:

Code:
    https://twitter.com/jenbrea/status/926120437523783682
    The tweet says:

Allele, Samuel, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is interesting to study the whole page of the Sunday Times from which Crawley has used the image.

At the bottom it clearly states "Doctors are facing death threats simply for suggesting ME, the chronic fatigue illness, is all in the mind."

Let us put aside for the moment the question of whether, or not, threats were made. Does Crawley seek expressly to associate herself with the view that ME is all in the mind? I think we should be told.

3. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Inara, MEMarge, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

"Simply"? Oh it's just a harmless simple suggestion is it? As in "simply suggesting that cancer is all in the mind"? Well that freak Noel Edmunds got a well-deserved shitstorm for that and didn't get to go on the front page of the Sunday Times Magazine with a fictional letter mocked up from fictional death threats, so those BPS freaks can stop complaining and making up shit and engage in a discussion about the evidence instead.

I'm not too happy about the Sunday Times Magazine putting a letter that never existed and was never sent on their cover either, just to sensationalise Sir Simon's dubious claims. Let us not forget that not only did EC never receive that letter, but nobody ever did, it was a piece of fiction made up by a journalist.

Pardon my language.

bobbler, Inara, pteropus and 35 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

Very understandably. If this fuss carries on someone might think to ask him why he was sensationalising the lies of the BPS crowd at the behest of the SMC without checking his facts like a journalist. I think he very much should become involved further in the dispute. What the f*** did he think he was doing?

Inara, Lidia, Wonko and 23 others like this.
  6. chrisb

One would expect that in any properly regulated profession it ought to be professional suicide to associate oneself with such articles in previously, but no longer, reputable newspapers. If Crawley takes advice she badly needs to change her advisors.

Taking Murdoch's shilling.

Allele, FreeSarah, Arnie Pye and 8 others like this.
  7. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

There was an appendix of this report has a report of a meeting for the CMRC where they discuss harassment being in terms of FoIs and parliamentary questions

http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/library/by-az/in-the-expectation-of-recovery.html

Also @Graham has shared a document from his FoI request where QMUL claim harassment basically quoting threads on PR. But I'm not sure where that is now.

Inara, Wonko, Allele and 9 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not law yet but if they add disability to the list of hate speech, would the M.E Community have a case against the likes of SW and EC ?

"In a survey of just over 2,000 British adults, 65% thought it should be against the law to use threatening words or behaviour with the intention of stirring up hatred against other people on grounds of their mental or physical disabilities."

https://theconversation.com/new-evi...speech-against-people-with-disabilities-73807

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a copy, but I'm not sure that it is posted anywhere. It doesn't contain anything particularly useful: it's more likely just to increase our frustrations and irritation. But if anyone wants to see it, and if they can send me evidence that their blood pressure is reasonable and that their current mood-dampening medication is effective, I'm happy to pass it on.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Inara, Wonko, Woolie and 10 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

Looks like they've got @Graham ...

Wonko, Allele, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  11. TiredSam

Please don't encourage her to recite the BPS twaddle about why they aren't really saying they think it's all in the mind, I don't think I could listen to it again.

Inara, pteropus, Wonko and 13 others like this.
  12. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chris, we could be talking about different articles or I am reading your email all wrong but the only article I know of which was published in the Sunday Times 5th May 2013 was by Michael Hanlon (who has since passed away). Was there also one by Tom Feilden in the same magazine or somewhere else?

13. chrisb

@Cheshire @ukxmrv you are quite right. We need to amend the Science Library to make it clear that the picture relates to the 2013 Hanlon article and not the first article in the list, which is the Fielden article to which I was referring. I must have been half asleep this morning. Strange how we forget things we know. Apologies to Fielden for the mistake and thanks for pointing this out.

14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

15. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! It wouldn't play in my browser (Firefox), got a Format Not Supported error message, but I downloaded it with the Firefox add-on Video Download Helper, and it's actually the full video, not just an audio recording! It's pixellated, but watchable enough to see Esther's performance quite clearly.

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it's a film recorded on a phone. The sound is a bit dodgy at first and a bit in the middle and the pics not wonderful but well done whoever recorded it.

My god, is Esther going for an oscar or what. She's definitely had a bit of coaching from Wessely.......all that stuff about her grandfather in the war.

so here are a couple of quotes
    " ten years ago people said it didn't exist in children"..........
    "we know that it is genetically heritable........more heritable in children" (??huh?)
    "....long way off developing new treatments...."

you're the one banging on/perpetuating the 'old' ones.

Being attacked........"This is an email I got a few years ago".............panto time......oh no it isn't.

:wtf:

Inara, Lidia, Wonko and 16 others like this.
  17. large donner

large donner Guest

Art work for money.

18. Moosie

Moosie Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Sly Saint ! Great quotes. No. 2 (ahem) made me laugh out loud which wasn't something I imagined I would be doing reading this thread. Unbelievable tripe.

Can't understand the quote thing at the moment so I'll just copy it below-

so here are a couple of quotes
    " ten years ago people said it didn't exist in children"..........
    "we know that it is genetically heritable........more heritable in children" (??huh?)
    "....long way off developing new treatments...."

19. FreeSarah

FreeSarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes perfect sense. Children are far more likely to get it from their parents that people who were never children.

20. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why was she holding her hands in that position throughout? I could understand it if she'd just butchered something or changed a nappy. Probably something along those lines.

Joan of Arc comes to mind.