1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Lightning Process Training Programme Reduce Chronic Fatigue in Adolescents and Young Adult Cancer Survivors? 2021, Fauske, Reme et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Kalliope, Aug 15, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume that could be because it's silly to argue that the LP could be considered a medical treatment, and as such has no need for it. Which would only be consistent if it means it obviously can't be approved to begin with, but that would require logical consistency, we are in the golden age of psychosomatics, after all, and it must be facilitated, propped up, at every opportunity.

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely anything done requires ethical approval?

Many years ago just going to schools as part of evaluating the word lists I was using in looking at acquired spelling disorders linked to brain damage in adults, just basically administering brief spelling tests to a few hundred children. I not only had to get distinct ethical approval for this specific component of a larger project from my university but also ethical approval from the local education authority involved.

This is reminiscent of Prof Crawley who used (or misused) a letter saying a very specific service evaluation did not require ethical approval to exempt herself from seeking ethical approval for some ten or more distinct research projects.

Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, shouldn't it? Even more important when they're testing a treatment of a symptom in adolescents. And of course this study is now being used as "proof" of LP being an effective treatment.

Sean, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they get away with it because they call it training, not therapy, so they can pretend it's education not medical. Which is clearly nonsense.

Michelle, Wyva, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Officially I think it's life coaching? No legal framework for this, nothing to do with medicine.

Wyva, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn’t aware of this thread before now. But it clearly puts science editor N. Kristiansen (forskning.no) unjust claims to rest, the one that ME-patients didn’t oppose this study, ref her latest piece regarding NICE on pause and the usual patient blaming (news from Scandinavia).

I find this alarming. Seems to be in line with Remes previous study some years ago on adolescents and ME, 12-13 persons and a qualitative study of very limited value.

What psychologists and psychiatrists may do without any limits, doesn’t surprise anyone. But it is scary that they “seduce”
    trained oncologists. The latter probably understand that these young patients bodies has taken a big hit, and they know a lot of what’s coming afterwards, but still you want patients to go into ignore-modus and just push through it. Cause your nervous system is wired the wrong way and that’s cause....?

Is that really a sound thing to do? I understand the frustration of not having a a remedy or cure for what is called chronic fatigue, that some “professionals” unfortunately gets desperate and very creative, but does that mean that you should try everything, turn it to the person and persona, not be careful and cautious and consider completely different options?

I have very limited knowledge of cancer, but I wonder what may happen if you do LP and ignore symptoms. I assume that it is beyond doubt that your immune system is whacked, and who knows what going to happen in just a little more time, beyond the one to two months and some questionares when continuing LP, telling yourself that you are “doing fatigue”. Is that what a cancer-whacked body needs? Who will take the risk and responsibility for gambling with these young patients health? How did they get the approval?

Just saying, for a fact, many patients developed ME after pushing through an ongoing infection and a compromised immune system. The risk of doing harm must be exponential in this case.

Amw66, Michelle, Simbindi and 7 others like this.