1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do adolescents with CFS/ME & co-morbid anxiety +/or depressive symptoms think differently to those w/o co-morbid psychopathology?, 2020, Crawley et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, May 26, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032719334561

Simbindi, rvallee, Sly Saint and 4 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So they selected a subgroup of ME/CFS patients on the basis of their tendency to answer questionnaires more negatively, and found that they tended to answer questionnaires more negatively?

3. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I honestly find these people worse than scammers. At least scammers are not usually funded by tax money. These articles are just completely useless, I dont know what else to say about them lol

4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't understand the purpose of this as research as it seems self-evident that co-morbid anxiety and or depressive symptoms would indicate that those who have these conditions will think in an anxious or depressive way therefore differently from others who do not have the condition.

However, reading the conclusion:

So, while using CBT to address these co-morbidities* the authors have appended the idea that while we're at it let's just include fatigue because . . . ? Whatever.

Sneek it in anyway.
    Maybe nobody will notice. Always cast the net wide. And if the patient doesn't benefit no harm no foul. The psychological therapy model benefits. That's what is really important.

*Also, I'm not suggesting that they are capable of accurately assessing these co-morbidities. Using questionnaires that may be sensitive but not specific.

2kidswithME, Simbindi, rainy and 9 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that seems to be about it.

6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Completely incompetent and clueless woo, as usual.
    Absolute abysmal incompetence. Quack quack quack. Just the most incompetent people to have ever worked in the field of medicine.

This is just trolling at this point. Not borderline or something like it. It's blatant trolling.

7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This lot have far too much time on their hands....

8. MEMarge

Professor Paul Stallard:

"Paul Stallard is Professor of Child and Family Mental Health at the University of Bath where he leads the Child & Adolescent Mental Health research group. He is a consultant clinical psychologist with 30 years of experience working in child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS). He continues to work as a practising clinician in the NHS and is Head of Psychological Therapies for Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.

Paul is an international expert in the use of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with children and has provided and helped to develop training for child care professionals in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Japan, Poland, Denmark, Greece and Ireland, as well as working with NHS Education in Scotland and the Department of Health."

"Paul Stallard is the author of “Think Good Feel Good: A cognitive behaviour therapy workbook for children and young people” and Editor of the book series “Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with children, adolescents and families”. He is an active researcher and has led large multi-site randomised controlled trials evaluating the effectiveness of school based CBT programmes on depression (PROMISE) and anxiety (PACES). He is interested in the use of techology to deliver interventions to children and young people has developed a computerised CBT programme (Think, Feel, Do), an app for adolescents who self-harm (BlueIce), and is part of a project exploring the use of a computerised CBT programme for children with chronic fatigue."

Suspect we will hear more of this guy.....

9. MEMarge

Professor Richard Stallard:

"My career has comprised statistical expertise applied to a wide range of topics in primary care, public health and epidemiology. From 2003-14, while based at UCL, I was co-director of the British Regional Heart Study, an international prestigious cohort study of British men, investigating the causes and possible preventive strategies for cardiovascular disease (CVD). I have continuing interest in investigating seasonal variations in CVD and its risk factors, and in understanding why the UK has a particularly marked excess winter mortality, especially from CVD.

I have been involved in much primary care research, especially in evaluating interrventions through randomised trials, and I am part of the Bristol Randomised Trials Collaboration, to provide methodological support. I am also attached to the Centre for Academic Primary Care and engage with a wide variety of quantitative research themes within CAPC."

Simbindi, Peter Trewhitt and Legend like this.
  10. MEMarge

Professor David Kessler

David is an academic GP who is also trained in Psychiatry. His research focuses on the treatment of anxiety and depression in primary care, mainly through large randomised trials of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy. He has a particular interest in the development of online psychotherapy.

Simbindi, Peter Trewhitt and Legend like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. phil_scottish_borders

phil_scottish_borders Established Member (Voting Rights)