1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dehydration-like feeling next day after exertion?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Hoopoe, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wondering if that is something others experience as well?

Has the effect of exertion on water balance or relevant hormones in ME/CFS ever been studied?

2. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! I wake up with a "hangover" and headache, and drink water all day. It feels like I'm not getting enough water.

3. Hoopoe

Exactly. I was about to say that people sometimes compare it to a hangover which is well known to be associated with dehydration.

Ravn, AliceLily, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wake up with a dry mouth when I'm "crashing". Not so dry on better days. I always drink as soon as I get up and a small amount of water before going to sleep.

Ravn, rainy, AliceLily and 11 others like this.
  5. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I, too, often feel "dehydrated" after exertion and get "water cravings" (I can't think of a better word, but it's not normal thirst.)

Ariel, Ravn, rainy and 13 others like this.
  6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Me too. It also correlates with polyuria in my case (dry mouth/dehydrated feeling is not always followed by polyuria, but I very rarely has polyuria without the dry mouth/dehydration at the start of the day).

By polyuria I mean I have to pee like four times in an hour even if I only drink a glass of water, not that I drink a lot and then obviously have to pee more often. Very annoying, but hasn't been prominent for some months now, even though it was a major pain most of last year. I wonder what changed so it went away. Still get dry mouth though.

Ravn, AliceLily, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  7. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too.

This was a huge problem for me in the first year or two of being sick, especially at night. It slowly got better as the illness ‘settled’, but returns with PEM.

Ravn, AliceLily, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

It's important to describe events when they are still fresh in memory.

I did exert myselves more than I should have yesterday and was expecting a crash. It didn't quite go as expected. I woke up early not feeling so well but also not sure if I was crashed or not. Only after walking for about 100m I was able to notice how much slower and weaker I was. Sleep was definitely much less refreshing than it has been the day before. Then I drank about a liter due to feeling dehydrated and shortly afterwards felt fatigued and went back to bed where I spent the next three hours. After this I'm still not feeling okay. I'm still thirsty and have drunk more. I hope it's going to get better from here, not worse.

PS: I'm also seeing signs of cognitive impairment. I just tried to find a phone number and write an email and it took me some time to solve this problem and do it right. For example: the phone number is on my phone, which yesterday was in a handbag together with my wallet, but somehow I searched through the wallet and examined its contents before remembering that I wanted that phone number. Then I looked at the handbag and the phone wasn't there so I had to find it first. It was right there next to the handbag. It was like I could barely focus enough on a task to understand what it requires.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Ravn, AliceLily, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Nighttime urination was very persistent last year, before that I had only had it on days with dry mouth/dehydration, but suddenly it was a daily (nightly :p ) occurence. By then I'd been sick since around 2011. Earlier this year I was so happy the days I got a full night of sleep, but the last few months nighttime urination hasn't been an issue and the novelty has worn off. I really hope it doesn't return, not that I feel any more rested after a full night of sleep, but since I didn't always fall asleep after waking up it cut my sleep short on a number of occasions.

Has anyone else done a bladder check to see how much liquid it can hold before giving a signal to void? Apparently my bladder muscles were not very cooperative when this was at its worst.

I hope you fill better soon @strategist , dehydration can cause all number of problems in the body, although I'm not sure what's going on with us (at least for me I still feel dehydrated even if I drink alot and get a lot of electrolytes on such days.. the feeling does not go away).

Ravn, Hutan, AliceLily and 10 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

agree with most posts above, also feeling really thirsty is often one of my 'warning signs' that I need to stop whatever it is I'm doing and have a rest (and a drink!). I'm not diabetic but wonder if there is any connection? (I remember Montoya saying in one of his talks that there were similarities with diabetes).

Philipp, Ravn, rainy and 12 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Do you remember what type of diabetes Montoya was talking about?

High blood sugar can cause osmotic diuresis (high sugar in the produced urine drags with it a lot of water to "water it out"), other substances than glucose can cause the same thing which might be relevant for us.
    Then there's diabetes insipidus, where there can be problems with the body's ability to keep its water balance. This is caused by the body either not producing enough of the hormone ADH, or the receptors of this hormone not responding properly (or maybe there was a lack of receptors).

^Taken from memory, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to it ;)

I've been thinking a lot about osmotic diuresis, if we produce or release something in the urine that causes water to be pulled with it. But that means the urine also has to be diluted, which is not always the case for me at least. I wonder if such a molecule could irritate the bladder wall so it leads to voiding even if the bladder is not full, then dilution might not have to happen?
    With ADH I've been wondering about problems with regulating it's production, and that this might not be picked up on a normal blood test if the levels are normal at the time of the test, but that it doesn't respond properly to whatever signal says production needs to be ramped up. But again, urine then has to be diluted.

Just thinking out loud ;)

Philipp, Ravn, AliceLily and 7 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've 'always' had problems with water management.

In middle school I regular drank a full pitcher of water with lunch, sometimes more.

In my later teens (probably a year or 2 before onset) I finally realised that I was 'unusual' in this regard, when I observed clear hallucinations when not able to drink as required. These had been happening for years in a more minor fashion, I just hadn't put it together with water.

I typically need to drink at least 4 liters a day, more normally 5-6 liters.

In the last couple of decades the picture has been 'complicated' as I developed type 2 diabetes, but the problems with my body being very inefficient with water, and therefore requiring much more than other people seemed to, have existed since at least my early teens.

It would be 'difficult' to disentangle the various threads of this at this time.

When in PEM I do tend to both drink more, and eat more - the two are probably directly connected and my increased need for water may not be down to PEM itself but down to an increase in food, and a different 'diet', caused by PEM.

Ravn, AliceLily, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I feel dehydrated on waking up I drink water with a sachet of rehydration powder in it. It is intended for use after people have the runs but I use it just to help myself to feel better. I suspect I'm running low on electrolytes when I wake up thirsty.

14. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get this too. Drinking electrolytes helps.

15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, I get that extra need for water and thirst too.

I have difficulty if I eat or drink too much liquid in one go but making sure I have a ½ glass of water when I rest seems to help.

I suffer on and off with the frequent urination business. It is very annoying and just what you don't need in PEM. It does seem worse with PEM.

I wonder of it was tied in to thyroid function fluctuations but it doesn't seem to be as far as I can tell.

Like @Midnattsol describes it's not because I'm drinking a very high volume of liquid.

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Feeling severely dehydrated during PEM is a huge issue for me.

hellytheelephant, Ariel, Ravn and 9 others like this.
  17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I frequently have dry mouth too. And many trips to the bathroom every day.

hellytheelephant, Ravn, rainy and 7 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get it too. I'd always attributed it to the immune flare I get after exertion, as I feel the same way when I have a virus coming on. No idea whether that has any basis in fact, though!

19. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I have this. After exertion, I wake up with a dry mouth, have to pee every ten minutes. Basically a very bad hangover.

20. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is a very dehydrated feeling. Since getting ME over 20 years ago I always have a bottle of water by my bed. When I had severe insomnia I would be sipping on it all night long because my body really needed it.

I think the dehydration part of my ME contributes to the headaches I get as well but not the only reason.