1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Defining the prevalence and symptom burden of those with self-reported severe CFS/ME: a ... community pilot study... (2017) Strassheim et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Daisybell, that makes much more sense. And I agree it's not particularly good for ME since it doesn't take into account fluctuating symptoms, and the cumulative effect of trying to do several things in succession, and PEM. But it's better than SF36 physical function for very severely affected perhaps.

MEMarge, Daisybell and Andy like this.
  2. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish I like your charitable interpretation above! I don’t think that’s what they do mean though.

I think they may well have a “benign desire” to help us, but they are not “looking properly” or engaging with the politics and history. It’s such a waste of time and resources when they mean well, but don’t get properly involved or step out of the bubble.

I haven’t been able to look at that scale of disability yet, will be back.

MEMarge, Amw66, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  3. ProudActivist

I had a look through and scored as you described (0-2) and seem to score 14! I am far from independent. Very crude measure and not capturing any subtlety caused by symptoms or taking undue exertion into account.

Yes I bath on my own (not nearly often enough) and go to the toilet on my own and get dressed (well, in a basic sense and not without issues) but if that’s all you manage then is that independence? Very basic.

MEMarge, rvallee, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  4. ProudActivist

Also the food category is strange.
    Needs food chopping to no problem with feeding is a leap. Are they assuming all people with stroke are men with wives who cook for them?!

I suspect this kind of thing is what the DWP base their criteria on. Has the same feel of a blunt assessment tool.

Should I put ETA on the second paragraph which I added with an edit? Is it Edited To Add? I am still getting the hang of this forum!

rvallee and Wonko like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

:)
    Took me ages to remember ETA meant 'edit to add'. I kept having to ask.
    I tend to just say 'Edit: .....'

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So you probably struggle with my

ETAA - edited to add again
    ETAYA - edited to add yet again
    ETAEMS - edited to add even more stuff

:D:hug:

(unfortunately, given how disorganised I am these days, it's either that or the forum becomes a place where 98% of the posts are by me :banghead:)

7. ProudActivist

Ha, thanks for the handy guidance

MEMarge, Trish and Wonko like this.