1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller crowdfund: Trial By Error: Reporting on ME/CFS and Related Controversies

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Mar 27, 2019.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, Alvin--good memory! That was a one-time thing that I don't expect again. but you never know!

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks
    One can hope :)

MSEsperanza, MeSci, Forestvon and 2 others like this.
  3. dave30th

I've asked about the PayPal thing a couple of times. For whatever reason, they're not set up to do it. I don't know the ins and outs of what that would entail. Of course it sucks if people want to give but can't figure it out. People can send paper checks to Berkeley but that doesn't makes much sense for a $10 or $20 donation I think.

I wish there were a work-around on the PayPal thing but short of someone giving money to someone else and having them donate for them, I don't know that there is.

JaneL, Barry, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Indeed

I do not know either. Hopefully one of the solutions presented by others above will work out

BTW someone mentioned you in this thread and wanted you told about it asap
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/private-eye-paul-foot-awards-nominations-want-david-tuller.8819

5. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The committee hasn't discussed this, but I think the same question was asked last year and the answer was no.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine the legalities might get a bit complex.

MEMarge, TiredSam, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done. Thank you David!

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  9. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will be donating in 2 weeks time and might be able to donate again 2 weeks after this.

MSEsperanza, Starlight, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  10. Alvin

I was thinking we are attempting to fundraise from our community and thats great but many people do loads of crowdfunding for much larger amounts for everything from medical bills to large projects. People can get millions of dollars for high profile crowdfundings!

So what can we do to raise our profile and get donations from others who donate elsewhere?
    If we could get a few hundred or thousand new donors even at $20-50 each from outside our normal circles plus what we raise perhaps we could even get David funded full time!

So how can we vastly expand our numbers of donors?
    Advertising, getting news organizations to cover this, viral memes, videos with likes, celebrity endorsements, other ideas?

Starlight, andypants and wdb like this.
  11. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Donated with pleasure and gratitude x

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  12. dave30th

I really wish I could work on this full-time since I basically work on it 3/4 or 80 percent time at this point. I'm not sure how to expand the base. Each of the past two years I've gotten about 1000 donations. Considering the number of people who have read my work, it's not really that many. As of now on this one, I'm close to 200 and about 20+ percent toward the goal. But obviously the first two days were dramatic, and now there's been a big drop-off. I'll post it on Virology Blog on Monday for the "official" April 1st launch and see what happens from there.

13. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the first thing to do is to actually raise the fundraising goal to 150k or whatever you need for a full time position. People tend to adjust to the goal at hand, and some people might come in at the end and see it’s already fully funded or close to it and decide their money might not be needed and thus better spent elsewhere.

If you could work full time you might also have a better chance of touching on related illnesses with similar issues or who are also affected by the same crappy research and biases, which would make you more relevant to a bigger support base.

From the donor map I also noticed that you are in large part funded by the UK, Norway, the US, and Australia. I think there should be more potential in more countries, especially in Europe. I think you mentioned aiming to take on the situation in Germany in the following year, but there should be a much bigger potential from Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, etc., too.

Norway is the smallest country on that list but #2 when it comes to funding you (that probably says something about the relatively high level of financial security Me patients have here compared to our neighbors, but even so).

14. andypants

Sorry forgot to tag you above, @dave30th :)

MEMarge likes this.
  15. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yip-piieeee! :angel:

How I'd love to see Henningsen's face when @dave30th takes apart his bullshit. :sneaky:

Hey @andypants! o_O we need him, too, very VERY much
    :hug:

Ok, all of those countries would need him...

16. dave30th

well I've been to Netherlands quite a few times and have recently been to Norway and Finland. This year I should try to visit Denmark and Sweden as well, and Germany, too. I mean, all I can really do is give a speech or two and meet with health officials or politicians and so on and report a bit about the situation. If that helps create some movement and/or gives people in some other way, that's great.

17. andypants

Just didn’t want to write Germany twice! :)

My point is these countries should have more people willing to contribute, we just need to figure out how to reach them.

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

have shared to my local group and will be pinging my quids this evening

i checked out the international page 80 UK based donors :D and big credit to Norway hitting above their weight at 27 donors well done norske :thumbup:

MSEsperanza, rvallee, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  19. dave30th

Yes I do think there are likely more than 27 Americans who would like to fund me. Especially because two of the current 27 have the same last name as me so as I said they don't really count, since their donations were required!

ScottTriGuy, JaneL, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  20. Alvin

This suggests you have a donating base which is good.
    What we need to do is expand your number of donors, if you can double or triple or more even small donations will supercharge your total funding.

Agreed, it could be increased to the full time or add a tier, the current 95K is 60% and say $150K is full time where you plan on a full roster (add a couple examples of what you would add).

So i think the first step is advertising. Can we go to every ME association and ask them to feature this campaign prominently for the next month (a top post on their web pages, in their information e-mails, in any other fundraising they do (maybe a handout card or pamphlet)?
    Can we get news organizations to cover this. Perhaps we can leverage the recent hit piece, David was maligned, learn the truth and donate to see more inconvenient truths? Things like that. It would also get more exposure to the Trial by Error
    Could we get interviews with government officials and post them to YouTube? Get some free publicity and maybe some new exposure? As i mentioned celebrity endorsements would be great if anyone knows someone.
    We can even look at traditional advertising, anyone know what a cheap ad on a widely trafficked platform costs?
    Could we organize a minute to celebrate ME awareness, everyone who follows Millions Missing, ME Action and other platforms tweet about the fundraise on the same day at the same time in solidarity and become a worldwide twitter trend that brings in new people?

Are there other organizations that might be willing to spread the word to their communities, other message forums, immune diseases, etc?
    Additional ideas?

ScottTriGuy, JaneL, rvallee and 8 others like this.