1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh. The arrogance. The defining trait I see common to the BPS cult: hubris. These people are so arrogant in the belief of their own superiority it's infuriating. She is wrong and smugly arrogant about it. Same as Horton who initially laughed off the pandemic then turned around screaming about people who did the same.

No wonder these people did so much harm to vulnerable people. They can't seem to think about others and have immovable beliefs about everything, no matter how blatantly wrong reality shows them to be.

This is the kind of mentality that needs to be erased from medicine. It is lethal and serves no purpose. And she has the gall to assert that patients should not even have the right to complain about doctors because it's too stressful to deal with them (an old tweet). Horrible. Just horrible, the perfect picture of someone who should never have vulnerable people in their care, no compassion whatsoever.

ladycatlover, EzzieD, Yessica and 5 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't understand people. A theme for masks seems to be that it is a bit late now why close the stable door when the horse has bolted. The use of the same phrase makes me think it is coming from the internet someplace. They don't seem to realise the horse is still there!

Then the talk of it all being a hoax or badly exaggerated and deaths just the same as for flu but the media are going on about because it serves some purpose for the government or big pharma or some nebulous group. staff at our local hospital were becoming distressed because they were used to one or two deaths a week but there were 2 or 3 every shift.

So many people seem to think the rules are like the council choosing to charge parking fees on a Sunday, just arbitrary, instead of ways to keep us safe. Nicola Sturgeon called it a plague and that is what it is.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep I think the answer to those people is smoking and seatbelts. I reckon there is definitely a concerted anti mask social media operation going on widespread fake science tripe being spouted. In the U.K. Jenny Harries spoke strongly against the public buying masks when the powers that be were in absolute panic about PPE. If they had thought laterally they could have had simple enough messaging at that time about face coverings. Make it yourself, use what you’ve got etc. Rather than all or nothing.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Sid and 6 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last Thursday I had to go out, so wore a mask for longer than a few minutes.

It was uncomfortably hot on the bus going into town, but within 10 minutes was perfectly comfortable (hot day, bus had windows shut, I was in a mid weight coat on a hot day, couldn't have helped). By that time even my glasses had stopped steaming up with every breath.

After that it was fine, it might even be preferable.

At no point was there any problem with getting enough air (unlike with a respirator where it is constant work to do so).

People who have a face, including ears and skin. should probably wear them, the discomfort disappears rapidly.

Those who do not fit in that group, another solution may be needed..

...and stable doors aren't just to keep horses in, amongst many other purposes, they keep tigers out.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Andy and 6 others like this.
  7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article, which originally appeared in The Los Angeles Times on June 16th, talks about how to convert an N95 mask with a valve into a mask that will protect both the wearer and others.

This simply involves putting tape over the valve openings. There is a video included in the article that shows how to do this.

[I believe he's using masking tape in the video. I might prefer to use electrical tape, as I think it probably sticks to the plastic valve better (but what do I know).]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Go9prEjgLk

9. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from the coronovirus spread and control thread.

Interesting article suggesting mask wearers may have less severe infection, if they catch COVID.

“That’s the argument Dr. Monica Gandhi, UC San Francisco professor of medicine and medical director of the HIV Clinic at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, is making about why — if you do become infected with the virus — masking can still protect you from more severe disease.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/...ronavirus?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    ladycatlover, Yessica, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this, @Keela Too. That wearing masks could mitigate the symptoms of the virus if you do get it is added incentive for us all to wear masks.

11. Keela Too

12. Keela Too

I thought so too.
    More on this Twitter thread
    (Also copied to the mask thread)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1286362342717095937

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not the first time I've seen this. Even when infected, people who wear mask typically show much milder symptoms, which strongly suggests that initial viral load plays a huge role in severity.

Yessica, Forbin, Seadragon and 6 others like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Moved from the how to make a mask thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npXP5wqNzaI

15. Keela Too

Good video! :)
    (Except where he implies that post-COVID cognitive difficulties are the result of mental health issues after being ill. Meh.)

16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have issues wearing a double lined cotton mask. The discomfort is when I have to talk, and my mouth sucks in the cloth and I start feeling a bit hot or my oxygen is limited.

Wits_End, shak8 and Wonko like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone really should design and produce a version with holes in to make breathing and talking easier, possibly with a fan attached to help keep peoples faces cooler ;)

Wits_End, ahimsa, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  18. Wits_End

19. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forgotten Technology in the COVID-19 Pandemic. Filtration Properties of Cloth and Cloth Masks: A Narrative Review
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025619620308260
    Press release by Karolinska Institutet:

Cloth face masks can reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2
    https://news.ki.se/cloth-face-masks-can-reduce-the-spread-of-sars-cov-2

Sean and Yessica like this.
  20. Wits_End