1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why We Need to Upgrade Our Face Masks—and Where to Get Them
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/...upgrade-our-face-masks-and-where-to-get-them/
    CDC: Types of Masks and Respirators
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/types-of-masks.html

Ash, ladycatlover, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  2. mango

Meanwhile in Sweden, the public health agency is still not recommending face masks (except on public transport during rush hour), despite tightening several other recommendations today.

No talk about airborne transmission at the press conference today either. The main focus is still on droplets and the importance of washing your hands, and things like keeping at least a 1 meter distance between groups of seated guests in restaurants, etc...

Ash, alktipping, Cheshire and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey that kind of reminds me of that whole security theater where air travellers have to take off their shoes for... something or another. You know shoes, so dangerous.

Yay for security theaters! They work just as well in public health. At making it clear it's just theater. People love that when they see it, it brings confidence in authorities. Well, negative confidence but a plus sign is basically two minus signs so it's just as good to have twice the signs!

alktipping and mango like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That began as a result of a British terrorist trying to set off a suicide bomb while he was on a plane. It had been built into his shoes. Other passengers realised he was trying to set something alight and managed to stop him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Reid
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_shoe_bomb_attempt

Ash, Barry, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  5. mango

Only 1 in 10 travellers follow the recommendation to wear masks on public transport during rush hour, according to a recent informal study done by a public service radio channel and news station.

Here's how the public health agency is presenting the mask recommendation (issued 8 December), in case anyone is interested.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    alktipping, Wonko and Trish like this.
  6. rvallee

Arnie Pye likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye likes this.
  8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

"CDC’s new approach to covid means most Americans can go without masks"

Link to Washington Post article ("gift" link, no paywall for 14 days) - https://wapo.st/3K4k5Ql

Link to new CDC guidelines - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/covid-by-county.html

I'm frustrated by this news.

Overnight the USA map went from mostly red (high risk) to green/yellow/red (different levels of risk). See maps in quoted section below.

It's as if the CDC thought, "Hey, we don't like seeing so many high risk counties. I know, let's change how we measure risk!"

A lot of counties where masks were recommended changed status to you only need a mask if you are at higher risk.

Did the CDC completely forget about Long Covid? Or they don't care? Hospitalization/death are not the only risks but that's what the new metrics seem to be based on.

And is it right for CDC to treat mask wearing as individual choice based on personal risk vs. a public health measure based on community spread of infection? It seems like this focus on individual behavior vs. what's safe for the community is not right. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I'm rambling now... I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2022
    cfsandmore, shak8, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  9. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very little that CDC has done throughout the pandemic has felt right.

shak8, Art Vandelay, ahimsa and 3 others like this.
  10. ahimsa

NPR article about CDC's new risk assessment and mask guidelines -

It's safe to unmask in many places, says the CDC. These experts aren't quite ready
    EDIT: This article does not mention Long Covid at all. So much news coverage ignores this risk.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    JemPD, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. rvallee

Problem: Geiger counter is clicking a lot

Solution: change the scale so that a heavy dose of radiation is considered safe, less clicking, anxiety solved

Mithriel, EzzieD, JemPD and 12 others like this.
  12. rvallee

On par with the failure with AIDS. The failure of public health agencies during the pandemic has been a constant right from the start. It's pretty much the same everywhere: confused and conflicting messaging, inaccurate predictions that never lead to anyone changing how or why they predict certain things, relying on inaccurate predictions from people with a history of inaccurate predictions, constantly reacting to predictable things, then aggravating those things.

For all the clapping about health care heroes, most of what lead to health care systems collapsing is entirely self-inflicted. It's really time to acknowledge that health is heavily political, pretending otherwise is like reacting to blatant cheating by covering it up.

EzzieD, ahimsa, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But....surely there is no need, as its been established that bad things only happen to bad people, far far away.

So absolutely no need to make sensible decisions at home.

EzzieD, JemPD, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  14. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get the feeling that a lot of CDC pronouncements are political or they want to be popular (or idiots).

In any case, the next variant will undoubtedly cause that institution to issue another proclamation. My prediction is a new variant peak next July-August. I base my prediction on the regularity of past peaks, both in the US and South Africa.

In any case, I will monitor local hospitalizations, not PCR tests, to gauge the safety of venturing indoors in poorly ventilated spaces (most spaces) even with an N95.

And I will keep my distance from all hamsters, white-tailed deer, mink, dogs, outdoor cats, and H. sapiens. Other creatures will make the list, to be sure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    cfsandmore, ahimsa and Wonko like this.
  15. ahimsa

Most folks probably missed this, but in one interview the CDC Director compared masks to a scarlet letter:
    Audio clip in this tweet:
    So masks are a stigma now? Something to be ashamed of? Makes no sense to me.

cfsandmore, Hutan, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  16. Wonko

But surely reminding people they were in a pandemic, was a significant part of the point of masks?

As it's been established that they don;t really protect the wearer, and are marginally better than air at protecting others - the whole point was so other people would see a mask, and stay away from it, thus cutting down transmission possibilities.

shak8 likes this.
  17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that would depend n the type of mask.

18. Wonko

Possibly I meant the type of masks that almost everyone is wearing?

Either basic fabric masks bought from ebay/amazon or 'surgical' masks that have no medical certification.

Hutan, oldtimer, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If having a mask on helps ward off others from my immediate vicinity, that is fine by me. :thumbup:

Hutan, Wits_End, ahimsa and 6 others like this.
  20. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has been established that high-quality masks (which filter more than regular "surgical" masks) when fitted correctly protect others and the wearer as well, significantly reducing transmission. The lower quality masks are better than nothing; it's a shame there hasn't been more info about this. I am just reiterating this as a lot of people seem to think (incorrectly) that the masks cannot protect the wearer.