1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on mask-wearing to protect against Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 2, 2020.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole thing is common sense, but somewhere along the way they decided that if there is no scientific evidence for common sense then it just isn't sensible.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Note that N95 masks have valves that don't "stop the pee". ;)

Forbin and Michelle like this.
  3. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this was aimed at cloth masks.

Presumably the valves are for exhaled air which should mean any airborne droplets are unable to enter the mask against the flow??

Michelle likes this.
  4. Snow Leopard

The main benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent spread from the wearer to other people.

Unless you are covering your eyes (proper PPE) and the mask is tightly worn, wearing masks don't protect the wearer very well. Cloth masks can potentially increase the risk to the wearer because the virus particles become lodged in the cloth and can work their way through over time and can also be spread if the individual touches the front of the mask.

N95 masks on the other hand, are designed to protect the wearer, and are designed to be worn along with other protective gear.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  5. Keela Too

Cloth masks are still better for the wearer than no mask. Cloth masks work best when worn by the infected individual. That was the point of the graphic I shared.

N95 masks are different. Their purpose is to protect the wearer.

However it seems because of the valve the N95 will not protect others around the wearer if the wearer himself is infected.

Was that your point @Snow Leopard ?

Michelle and JaneL like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think if someone has the virus and knows they have it they should be isolating anyway and not going anywhere where they can spread the virus, but if they live with others in close proximity, it would probably be a good idea for them to cover their mouth and nose to help reduce spread within the household, but even there, there are traps for the unwary, like someone else handling the mask in order to put it in the wash.

If someone has the virus but is unaware of it, then covering mouth and nose are helpful in reducing spread to others.

If someone doesn't have the virus and covers mouth and nose, that probably won't help them much, and there is the danger that virus that lodges in the mask may then be picked up on hands and transferred to nose eyes etc, or may be breathed in later.

My conclusion from that is that if we don't know whether we have the infection or not, and we go out and wear a face cover, we should still wash hands frequently, not touch face or mask, and be very careful in taking the mask off and disinfecting it every time we have worn it. I think I would do that by washing it in soapy water, and ironing it, or by boiling it in water in the microwave or a saucepan.

But I don't go out, so I don't do any of that.

7. Snow Leopard

Yes.

JaneL and Keela Too like this.
  8. Keela Too

I agree it is better that the affected individual wears the mask, but this should apply to everyone meeting others because we have no way of knowing whether or not we are actually infected.

However as an individual I cannot control what the people I might meet do (not that I’m meeting anyone right now). So the only thing I can control is whether or not I wear a cloth face covering.

I disagree entirely that a cloth face covering might be worse than nothing! If I’m breathing in air and have no face covering, and that air contains moisture droplets with the virus, then those droplets will hit the back of my throat if they don’t get stopped.

If the droplets get caught in the mask, then at least some of them along with the viral particles they contain will stay there. The virus can’t replicate in the mask, so it’s not like a bacterium that might multiply in the moisture in the mask.

Even if I’m not very good at taking the mask off, I cannot remove all the viral particles from the mask and contaminate myself with them.

If cloth masks are to be advised then washing them should be advised along side of the recommendation.

I cannot see how they might pose a greater risk to the wearer than not wearing them at all.

9. Trish

I don't know enough about this to argue.

I agree viruses can't replicate outside the human body, so it's not the same as bacteria that might multiply in a damp mask. I am not against wearing masks in public, in fact I think it is an excellent idea, but I think we also need to be careful how they are handled so they don't become another surface carrying virus particles that we bring into the house.

I was more trying to make the point that I don't think it's a good idea to use the face covering repeatedly without disinfecting it and handling it carefully between uses and washing hands after handling it.

Michelle, ladycatlover, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot see how a mask can increase risk.

If the wearer has the virus then they are not going to catch it from their mask. Someone else might catch it from the mask. (I suspect lots of people used to catch colds from others waving dirty hankies about.) But if the wearer has the virus without knowing it in most cases they will know it fairly soon and hopefully any sensible person who has been wearing a mask and feels they might have the virus will wash their mask or bin it.

I agree with Veela Too that you are not going to be more likely to infect yourself from virus from others caught by your mask than by virus from others not caught by a mask and straight in your face.

A few people might excrete virus without ever getting ill at all. But these people are likely to be smearing virus everywhere anyway and leaving their mask somewhere where someone else might touch it is not likely to have a significant impact on that.

Michelle, TrixieStix, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there a good, authoritative summary somewhere online of the evidence pro and con masks?

I'm hearing reports on the UK news that masks offer only a marginal advantage in reducing infection, but the information I've read on this thread and elsewhere seems to suggest otherwise.

I'd like a summary report that I can share with others.

Michelle and ladycatlover like this.
  12. Trish

I have clearly failed to make clear what I thought I was saying.
    One more try and I'll give up!

I agree wearing a mask, even a home made one, is a good idea for everyone.

I agree the purpose is to prevent those with the virus from spreading it to others.

I agree wearing a home made mask does not protect the wearer significantly.

What I was questioning was the idea of not disinfecting that mask between uses.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/24/health/face-masks-coronavirus-questions-wellness-trnd/index.html

13. Jonathan Edwards

I don't thin there are going to be any authoritative reports giving an answer.

What the UK news outlets are really saying is that there is only marginal evidence for an advantage - i.e. nobody has reliable evidence from any study that can be legitimately extrapolated to the current situation. The evidence for stopping vast amounts of secretion getting into public space from someone wearing a mask seems pretty black and white - most of the stuff gets caught. The American chap who explains this best is quoted somewhere above. I keep forgetting his name.

Edit: the Jeremy Howard chappie.

Michelle, TrixieStix, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

I wasn't aware that I was responding to you Trish, there. I don't disagree.

I think the washing/disinfecting is to some extent a council of perfection. I doubt it is based on any evidence. You could equally say that your jacket and scarf should be washed/disinfected every time you go for a walk. Admittedly masks are put up to the face but I make sure I keep the face side for the face and the other side for outside.

So it seems to me the order of preference would be:

1. Wear a mask and wash it every time you go out
    2. Wear a mask
    3. Don't wear a mask

JaneL, ladycatlover, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  15. Trish

Sorry, I'm having a bad day. That's the third time I've got got in a muddle on the forum today. Time to take a break!

16. Jonathan Edwards

Not at all. It is all very confusing and each little nudge helps clarify the thoughts!

Michelle, TrixieStix, mango and 4 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Spain will make the wearing of masks obligatory on public transport from Monday to help prevent a new wave of coronavirus infections as it begins lifting its strict lockdown measures.

The Madrid government, which had until now "highly recommended" the use of masks, will distribute six million across the country and supply another seven million to local authorities."

Coronavirus: Eurostar passengers told to cover their faces
    • 4 hours ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52514290

18. Jonathan Edwards

Mayor Cuomo today:

“An individual’s role is responsibly and intelligently for yourself for your family and for your community,” he says. “You want to honor the healthcare workers and the people who literally gave their lives in some cases for what they did here? Act responsibly. Wear a mask. I know the weather is getting warmer, I know people want to get out of the house. Fine. Wear a mask and socially distance. That is your social responsibility in the middle of this overall pandemic. And when we talk about New Yorkers together and the spirit of unity and how people are helping one another and how tough we are and how smart we are and how disciplined we are and how we love one other? Show it. You know how you show love? By wearing a mask.”

19. Keela Too

Well said that man!

20. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

*Governor Cuomo