1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Consumer-Contested Evidence: Why the ME/CFS Exercise Dispute Matters So Much' PLOS Blog post by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Three Chord Monty, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like just name and e-mail is needed. I'd be surprised if she wanted to exclude patients!

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It asks for an 'ORCID code' too. I could not see any comments so I wondered if you need be 'signed in' some how to comment.

andypants and ladycatlover like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just the name and e-mail are starred, and that's what normally indicates required fields. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if her blog excluded those without ORCID.

andypants, Dolphin, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done and thanks to everyone who did this. :thumbup: It wasn't me (though perhaps she might also have read some of my comments on PubMed Commons when she ran it).

5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well you did get quoted, along with Bob.

So your input was important @Tom Kindlon. :trophy@

sea, MSEsperanza, Simone and 29 others like this.
  6. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow.

That's some brave, outspoken blogpost! Putting here feet right into the middle of the controvers and not only siding with patients, but critizing researchers, reviewers and even the basic tools that PACE resides on. And more.

Saw some comment a while ago, that she was reading up on the subject, and might write something. Did not expect this level of scrutiny.

And her PhD supervisor is one of the authors of the IPD review that got retracted before publication..? That will lead to an interesting week I'm sure :p

As we know, not many people are willing to do what she just did with posting this blog. We may not see to many public comments, but this will not go unnoticed. She lifts up so many things from the history and background, that others would rather not got public attention.

There's so much quotable in this blog, it's hard to choose - but I really love how she sets things into a bigger frame right from the start:

sea, MSEsperanza, Simone and 21 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, Simone, Milo and 10 others like this.
  8. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This bit - wasn't there something about it also beeing the biggest trial in psychology...? With the added prestige with that, but don't know it's correct or a source?

MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

credit where credits due Tom

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  10. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sea, MSEsperanza, Simone and 19 others like this.
  11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a good article.

One issue for me is the use of the term "consumer". I know this is a Cochrane thing (well, that's me told anyway), but part of the issues stem from terminology that divides people into groups or "camps", when in reality these groups are fairly fluid.

It is also the fact that a self-appointed authority group gets to decide what other parties are called, without much in the way of negotiation on the issue.

Do you feel like consumers (even healthcare consumers)? Or is the lack of access to adequate healthcare in this field a disqualifying factor here?

I'm not a "consumer". I wasn't initially an "activist" either. I can't even be a proper "advocate" - you're all perfectly able to speak for yourselves!
    I'm no longer an "academic" or a "researcher" - although I'd like to get back to that - if any institution would ever have me back.

Guess I'll have to stick with the term "unemployed troublemaker"!

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think you make a good point, Lucibee. There doesn't seem to be a satisfactory term. We are not consumers, as there is nothing for us to consume, nor are we a 'community' any coherent sense. We are lots of sick individuals who sometimes come together in common cause and for mutual support.

I don't feel like a consumer, or a client since no one is giving me anything to 'consume' and 'client' implies someone providing services for that client. I'm not even really an ME patient since that implies a doctor or some other health professional is providing me with health care or as either treatment or medical support for my ME which they are not.

I don't like the term ME sufferer either, because, although true, it seems to seek to define who I am. I end up using the neutral expression 'person with ME' or pwME.

Perhaps I'm a pwME and accidental occasional activist.

But in the context of this article and Hilda Bastian's background I think her use of the term consumer is understandable:

13. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Indeed, pacing is simply 'enduring', is how we survive. That Action for ME definition is utter codswallop.

Simone, JaneL, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  14. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have always rather like being labeled as a "professional irritant".... process. process, 'process is all' is my mantra!

Attached Files:

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

sea, Simone, hinterland and 26 others like this.
  16. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A good article. The consumer term is very odd.

Action for ME on pacing is bad.

I’m not familiar with this action for ME and how they actually worked and opposed PACE in the initial phase, if at all.

But it’s a shame they wasn’t up to par and did better in the early phases. It may not have been easy, but still. You wonder how more wasn’t done to try to “prevent” PACE. Asking a lot here, but if they knew the the details in the protocol, which they should, it seems kind of strange.

JaneL, MEMarge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, rvallee and ladycatlover like this.
  18. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Chezboo, JaneL, ScottTriGuy and 7 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a common thing. My health care system does the same. We're users or clients. I think it's in part because not everyone who interacts with health care is a patient in the sense of being sick and in need of care. Healthy people are expected to have regular (or occasional, jury's still out on what is appropriate) and aren't technically patients for those interactions yet they still use the services.

MEMarge, EzzieD, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.