1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clare Gerada: influence on UK medical practice and ME/CFS management

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Cheshire, Dec 12, 2017.

1. large donner

large donner Guest

#BPS kills!
    Respond a few times with that she will stop tweeting complaints kill.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

BPS also stands for British Psychological Society. And probably lots of other things too. That hashtag might cause some confusion!

3. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BPS

Blackheath Poetry Society? Or Big Picture Scrapbooking?

Joh, alktipping, Tia and 3 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One feels obliged to enquire whether the terms of reference will extend to complaints brought against doctors, possibly frivolously, by their colleagues.

I remembered that the term to describe Gerarda's position is "parti pris".

EDIT. OK, I know its about gross negligence, and not professional sensibilities.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

exactly LB and the same applies to a complaint of child abuse for example - would she propose dealing with children as she sees as appropriate for patients

6. large donner

large donner Guest

Ah good thinking, how about "PACE kills".

7. large donner

large donner Guest

I don't know about the case that lead to this but her hastag "complaints kill" is just bizarre. Who died and why?

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing some doctors subject to complaints have committed suicide, which is tragic, but not a reason to stop patients being able to complain. It may be a good reason to provide more support to doctors going through the complaints procedure, and speeding it up.

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Judging by her tone, it seems every doctor, everywhere, who has ever had a complaint made against them, has died, as a direct result of the complaint.

This strikes me as a little unlikely, but in the event it is not, do we really want such unstable people in healthcare?

10. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite so....I remember many years ago an interview on the radio with a top US heart surgeon and he said he'd avoided lots of litigation by being honest and up front when he, or a member of his team were in error.

If anything went wrong, they'd right away admit it and explain why eg complications that were unforeseen or human error which should have been avoided etc and by so doing they found that issues could be dealt with quickly and in a fair and decent manner for all concerned.

rainy, andypants, Joh and 6 others like this.
  11. large donner

large donner Guest

#the lady doth protest too much methinks

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doctors kill far more patients than the other way around - and I’m sure that is true if one crunched the numbers to get to be able to make a direct comparison.... obviously it’s just that doctors are more important than patients.

andypants, TiredSam, Daisymay and 4 others like this.
  13. large donner

large donner Guest

Exactly, just how many ME patients have committed suicide or died after brutal incompetent treatment from doctors and the DWP etc.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.hsj.co.uk/policy-and-re...-england/7024527.article#.XHftPEE0WFw.twitter

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh boy. That's really bad. Looks like the response to mounting evidence of disaster is to double down on the worst aspects. I hope serious change happens soon before this gets out of hand.

16. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The live link I was watching said that Clair was looking forward to working closely with patients. At which point I spat out my coffee and still have not recovered. Chris is part of the Kings Fund I think they said he was giving up his chair to be part of this :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Arnie Pye, Starlight, Andy and 2 others like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And the Kings Fund have decided MUS is a top 10 priority for integrating mental and physical health:

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/physical-and-mental-health/priorities-for-integrating

ladycatlover, Andy, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This may be about integration at the higher organisational level rather than the multidisciplinary team but I don't see any sign of anyone sensible involved here.

19. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At this rate she'll beat her husband to be Her Ladyship before he becomes His Lordship. :yuck:

Nellie, Starlight and Trish like this.
  20. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)