1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clare Gerada: influence on UK medical practice and ME/CFS management

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Cheshire, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Read on: 'should promote and support these principles'

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 4 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read that - but as the 'leader' she is the one who decides what those principles are, and how they should be interpreted . That's sort of part of what leader means.

This is the BPS way, get into key positions and change how things are done, whilst appearing to do things as they should be.

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is, after all, only 3 letters difference between the words 'these' and 'their'...

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by leadership and example."

Fails at every level.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  5. Barry

Sorry @Wonko, for once I disagree with you :). Leaders are supposed to uphold the principles set by society etc, and ensure others abide.

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bolding mine.

I completely agree with you that's how it's supposed to be. Doesn't mean that's how it will be though.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 2 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She doesn't strike me as someone who does what she is 'supposed' to do.

She strikes me as someone who will do what is in her, and her belief systems, best interests.

All for our own good of course - coz I genuinely believe that is how she see's it.

Unfortunately, for, well...people, she has not shown any evidence of anything like empathy, or an indications she is either aware, or cares, about her actions/statements affect people.

A common trait amongst the BPS crew.

Which is odd, given their chosen field is about understanding people.

Daisymay, Starlight, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  8. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given that Gerada, Wessely and other notable names in the BPS community have risen to hold such leadership positions in the NHS and medical colleges and societies, as well as receiving titles in the UK honours system, I think it is very clear what happens in actual practice...

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooooof. Hard fail. Right there with optional requirements, uh?

With such lapses in execution, this is basically actual virtue signaling, boasting about things worth praising without ever bothering to actually do those things.

Barry, Mithriel, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  10. Barry

The point I'm making is that "leaders" are not really leaders at all if they fail to do what they are supposed to do what leaders are supposed to do. Failure on all 7 counts I still believe. I've worked with many good leaders, and many more who purport to lead, but do not.

Daisymay, Mithriel, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah. It's depressing just how successful those who purport to lead can be though!

It's like running a trial to see if something works or is safe and doing neither. :whistle:

Daisymay, MEMarge, Simbindi and 2 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Failing upwards seems to be a growth industry

Barry, rvallee, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird. I was told that belonging to support groups for chronic illness was bad, one of the very worst things, even.

That someone? Albert Einstein. Actually no it was Clare Gerada and Simon Wessely.

Somehow it's always different when they view it as different, regardless of whether it actually is. Almost like their perception is the problem here.

Also: haven't they suffered enough? Surely they have suffered enough.

rainy, Sarah94, lunarainbows and 14 others like this.
  15. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't worry, she'll no doubt make sure to undermine their position in every way. Two years later they'll be wondering what the heck happened.

16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You might want, for clarity to specify who 'they' are in your last sentence. If you read it back you had just left off talking about CG & SW.

But for myself, I think I take your point. And yes, we've all suffered enough.

MEMarge and Missense like this.
  17. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i like to think that's the pose claire gerada strikes when, after careful consideration, she tells someone that the only certain cure is exercise

Chezboo, MEMarge, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  18. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's called the 'this is me thinking' photo :emoji_thinking:<(this emoji is just as good)

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    ladycatlover, Hutan, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  19. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Qoute from Clare Gerada, not sure it's been posted elsewhere.

Is from a Medscape UK update email
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...SCPEDIT&uac=264294PY&impID=3412560&faf=1#vp_2

"Being reprimanded by NHS England for not being 'open' "hurt" GPs, who are having a "grim time", according to an editorial in the British Journal of General Practice.

Former Royal College of GPs' Council Chair, Dr Claire Gerada, wrote: "Rather than being lauded GPs have been reprimanded, unjustly, for not being ‘open’. This hurts … GPs have moved mountains to help our patients; transferred millions of consultations per day to the virtual space; created hot and cold hubs to make life safer for staff and patients; led the delivery of the highly successful vaccine programme (90% of all 50 million or so doses) to name a few of our achievements over the last 18 months."

She continued: "Now more than ever the management of complex patients … must be moved outside the remit of day-to-day care of the GP and instead cared for through intermediate multidisciplinary teams, bridging the gap between hospital, general practice, and home, …providing enhanced care to patients."

Oh joy...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2021
    Arnie Pye, Michelle, Mithriel and 5 others like this.