1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Circulating leptin levels in patients with [ME], [CFS] or fibromyalgia a systematic review protocol, 2020, Musker et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sasha, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michael Musker and colleague Tiffany Gill have written an article about their research for The Conversation

Explainer: what is fibromyalgia, the condition Lady Gaga lives with?

It is about fibromyalgia, but the article ends with:

Many of the symptoms of fibromyalgia can be found in people who have a condition known as myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Our research is currently looking at the blood of people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome to see if there are specific inflammatory markers that may help us understand how these illnesses develop.

If we can understand the interaction of the immune system with pain and inflammation, then we can begin to target treatments more effectively for people living with fibromyalgia.

Hutan, Amw66, Art Vandelay and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Circulating leptin levels in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia: a systematic review protocol
    Open access, https://journals.lww.com/jbisrir/Ab...in_levels_in_patients_with_myalgic.99794.aspx

Simone, MEMarge, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  4. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't say what criteria, so I'm not convinced that all these patients have genuine ME. I think loose criteria leads to problems replicating results.

alktipping likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

merylg, andypants, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Authors:
    Musker, Michael1,2,3;
    McArthur, Alexa2;
    Munn, Zachary2;
    Wong, Ma-Li1,3,4

1 Mental Health and Wellbeing, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute, Adelaide, SA, Australia
    2 The Centre for Evidence-based Practice South Australia (CEPSA): A JBI Centre of Excellence, Adelaide, SA, Australia
    3 Department of Psychiatry, Flinders University, Adelaide, SA, Australia
    4 Department of Psychiatry, Upstate University, New York, NY, USA

Corresponding: Dr Michael Musker, michael.musker@sahmri.com

So, a South Australian project. The institutions involved appear to have a mental health focus.

Michelle, MEMarge, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Andy like this.
  8. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know a bit about GRADE and consider it pseudoscience along with the Cochrane risk of bias tool. GRADE people really seem to love it though. I guess it must produce very impressive looking tables. I remember one top level GRADE person giving a presentation once about how the GRADE predictions of whether the evidence was reliable or not turned out not to be very reliable! He was very disappointed and surprised, and determined to try and work out why GRADE was not very reliable at detecting the reliability of research. It would be better if such energy could be directed at improving the reliability of research rather than improving tools to detect unreliability. Hey ho.

merylg, ukxmrv, Simbindi and 13 others like this.
  9. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found the study Gerald Gartlehner presented. It was about stability not reliability. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK321518/. I was not a fan of GRADE before...and his presentation of these findings just confirmed my suspicions that it's pretty useless. But all the EBMers use it.

merylg, ukxmrv, Simbindi and 7 others like this.
  10. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

comparing leptin levels (as leptin acts immunologically, similar to IL-6, it is theorized) could be of interest in delineating who has ME/CFS vs who has fibro.

Though, I don't know that it is vitally important to know this.

merylg and Kitty like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've met Dr Musker, he didn't actually have strong beliefs about etiology and is leading the team because he has experience as a clinician, skilled with enrolling patients into studies.
    The project/team was started under Julio Licinio, a Brazilian with a strong focus on biological-psychiatry, with an interest in leptin. Most of his research involves trying to find biomarkers.

They conducted a study monitoring IL-6 and leptin levels at 7 minute intervals over 8 hours:
    http://sacfs.asn.au/news/2016/02/02_13_sahmri_calling_for_research_participants.htm

I guess that paper should be published soon.

Art Vandelay, merylg, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Biography: Dr Michael Musker Senior Reserach Fellow, RN, DPSN, BA(HON), MSc, PhD.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8226-8630

Hutan, Michelle and MEMarge like this.