1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT combined with music therapy for chronic fatigue following Epstein-Barr virus infection in adolescents: a feasibility study, 2020, Wyller et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks - hadn't seen this. Will try to reword my comment.

Why won't they share the peer review?

MEMarge, NelliePledge and MSEsperanza like this.
  2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tend to agree. But on the forum I think it's OK to say what we think. In this particular case I find it difficult to not use words that imply an intention like "lie" or "whitewash".

Genuine question: What's the correct term for a 'failed" trial like this one? Is it correct to still name it just a "randomised controlled trial" in the paper's title?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Trish likes this.
  3. MSEsperanza

Yes -- happy you understood what I was meaning to say.

4. MSEsperanza

Yes. Whom do they think they need to protect and why? And why not even display the review without the reviewers' names?

I very much hope they will accept your thorough response. Thanks again for your important work.

(Also, thanks again to @dave30th and @Jonathan Edwards for all you do - would be great if you put together an additional letter.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    cfsandmore and Andy like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To say they misrepresented the study and must have been aware what they were doing is just a polite way to say lie.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I dont understand the difference. Surely 'knowingly misrepresenting' is a definition of lying.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I remember 'misrepresentation' is the way it is defined in law. You can get convicted of it.

8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Misrepresentation would also be against the research ethics guidelines in Norway, and is mentioned as an example of what could be a serious breach of ethics in the pre-works* of our research ethics law. As far as I know, we have no cases where this part of the law has actually been tested.

*I'm not sure what this is in english. A hearing..? Comments and ideas that were proposed before the law was finalized. The law itself states the normal about plagiarism, falsifications and fabrication, with an "also other serious offenses" at the end.

9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Maybe you're right, @Trish, perhaps "misrepresentation" is just a euphemism for "lie". But to me it feels like "lie" is more loaded with baggage about presumed intention, whereas misrepresentation is the behaviour itself and leaves open whether it was intentionally misleading or just negligent.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I take your point, @Woolie, and if I were writing a paper or response for a scientific journal, I would use the word misrepresentation. I think in forum discussion it's fine to tell it like it is.

11. Hoopoe

A culture of treating these constant lies as possibly being honest mistakes that shouldn't be punished is maybe exactly what allows the authors to get away with them.

12. ME/CFS Skeptic

Made some changes to the letter (changes indicated in red)

13. Hoopoe

I don't know how much this study cost but it's probably not a small sum. Did we learn anything useful from it? No. To be honest this study is uninterpretable. Now the authors instead of admitting all the problems are spinning the results so they can have another go with a larger study and waste even more money. This money is supposed to help patients by finding out what works and what does not, not help advance the careers of researchers.

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Of course!

MSEsperanza, Simbindi and Trish like this.
  16. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confused here. When you talk about the "analysis they highlight," you mean the per-protocol analysis rather than the intention-to-treat analysis, I think? Maybe you can make that clear.

MSEsperanza and Andy like this.
  17. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would say in a forum OR blog post I feel very comfortable saying they're lying. I agree that "misrepresent" or some other euphemistic phrase that is not explicitly accusing them of lying is better. People can misrepresent things inadvertently. You can't really lie inadvertently.

18. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks, I meant the recovery rates. Will change the text.

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  19. Marit @memhj

Marit @memhj Established Member (Voting Rights)

Important to remember that - in this particularly chosen patient-cohort:

The patient study screening for acute EBV canditates, here; n=895. The recrutment stopped at 200 eligibiled canditates. VBB Wyller is obsessed that fatigue and pain after initial infection is sustained cuz the patients thinking, feeling and making stronger connetctions in the brain.

So to break this (fantasy - make believe - illusions hypothesis) signal-connections for fatigue and pain he initiated a early treatment program at 6 months (yes, same arguments for the Lightning Process (LP)). (and... ironyfact Herpes is persistent, once infected - they stays)

Adherens/satisfy to The Oxford criteria is bimodal CFQ ≥ 4 (as they say; severe fatigue).

How did it go - the results:

Adherens to ME/CFS criteria in this patient-cohort - baseline:

Stolpe Diagram_Diagnosekriterier CEBA del 1 6mnd PI EBV.jpg

Fig: 6mo PI-EBV. VBB Wyller obtain/acquire the diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS by derive / extract post hoc or retrospectively, based on the answers to the participants / patients symptom questionnaire (yes, a non-specific method).

BASELINE: At 6-month PI-EBV, n = 91 participants were still fatigued (chronic fatigue (CF+); bimodal fatigue score CFQ value bimodal CFQ ≥ 4, while n = 104 had recovered from chronic fatigue (CF-); Bimodal fatigue score CFQ value ≤3. Which means that 53% of the patient population recovered from acute mono vs 47% of the participants still reported fatigue.

Of the 91 participants, 65 or 71.4% of the patients met only the Oxford 1991 criteria. n = 26 or 28.6% satisfied CDC1994 Fakuda criteria and n = 7 satisfied only Fakuda.

---
    Baseline - RCT
    Of all n= 43 participants, n=27 or as many as 62.8% of patients met only Oxford criteria. n = 16 or 37.2% satisfied CDC1994 Fakuda criteria and n = 6 or 37.5% satisfied only Fakuda. As many as 10 out of 16 Fakuda patients met the CCC2003 Canada criteria (62.5%), which for the entire patient cohort is reported 23.3%.

For the n= 21 participants in the mental therapy group (MT), 16 or as much as 76.2% of the patients met only the Oxford 1991 criteria.
    n=5 or 23.8% satisfied CDC1994 Fakuda criteria and n = 2 or 40% satisfied only Fakuda. As many as 3 out of 5 Fakuda patients met the CCC2003 Canada criteria (60%), and as reported for the entire patient group, 14.3%.

For the control group of n=22 patients (follow-up by a general practitioner; GP), n=11 or as many as 50% of the patients met only Oxford criteria.
    n =11 or 50% satisfied CDC1994 Fakuda criteria and n=4 or 42.9% satisfied only Fakuda. As many as 7 out of 11 Fakuda patients met the CCC2003 Canada criteria (57.1%), and as reported for the entire patient group, 31.8%.

When comparing the two groups;
    (MT n=16, 76.2%) vs (GP n=11, 50%) for how many only met Oxford criteria, shows that there are 18.5% and n = 5 more participants in the mental therapy arm than in the participant arm with general practitioner GP that only satisfies Oxford 1991 diagnostic criteria (CFQ ≥ 4).

It is not reported in the publication adheres to diagnostic criteria after 10 weeks of therapy treatment at 3 months primary endpoint (9 months PI-EBV) or another year later (21 months PI-EBV).

Oxford ONLY at Baseline: mental therapy group MT-arm 76.2% vs controllgr GP-arm 50%.

In the conclusion, you assume correctly; more than 3/4 of the participants receiving CBT/Music - mental therapy treatment only suffered from fatigue with not even enough symptoms for stronger ME-criteria.
    ---
    In the Katz et al study:

Katz et al. N=301 EBV; 6mo PI-EBV: n= 39 (12,9%), Female n= 35 (11,6%), Male n=4 (1,3%); 12mo PI-EBV: n= 22 (7,3%), F n=22 (7,3%), M n=0; 24 mo PI-EBV n= 13 (4,3%), F n=13 (4,3%), M n=0. ME-criteria; Jason

[​IMG]
    presentation Gordon Broderick. Only n=3 ME/CFS young girls showed a clinical immune signature compatible with ME.

Recovered from mono:

Malik et al_BMJ Paediatrics Open_utsnitt Tabell 4_Manuscript ID bmjpo-2019-000620.jpg
    Malik et al_BMJ Paediatrics Open_utsnitt Tabell 4_Manuscript ID bmjpo-2019-000620

N=17 did NOT Recover from mono 21 months PI-EBV in Malik et al [PMC old][PMC new] but who the F**KK knows... only per-protocol data can answer that Q.

spontaneous or delayed recovery... vs treatmenteffect? per-protocol for MT arm at endpoint vs controlls has a statistical significance of p = 0.016 that mental therapy treatment makes patients activitylevels worse....

underpowered? well, find papers with CBT and GET arms...

20. ME/CFS Skeptic

Have submitted my comment today:
    upload_2020-11-3_8-50-59.png