1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

CBT combined with music therapy for chronic fatigue following Epstein-Barr virus infection in adolescents: a feasibility study, 2020, Wyller et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Marit @memhj

Marit @memhj Established Member (Voting Rights)

(。◕‿◕)ノ゚°º✫•❥ Thank you Michiel :):thumbup::balloons:

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My comment hasn't been published yet, so I submitted it again

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New blog post from Nina E. Steinkopf: Music therapy study: BMJ refuses to publish critical comments

Doubt, uncertainty and criticism are the driving forces in science. Ensuring that patients are not harmed in research should be a top priority. We can only hope that BMJ’s editors change their minds and see the value in readers getting involved.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember it was noticed at the time that the open peer review was not available but I notice now that there is a link to the peer review history saying they decided to exceptionally not make it open (a generic statement but that's what it says). Maybe it was already there but I don't remember this note about exceptional withholding of peer reviews, despite the journal's policy of open reviews. Then again my memory is terrible so whatever.

There's a note somewhere that says it was "externally peer-reviewed", which I have no idea what is supposed to mean. I guess it means something like "yeah we publish this but do not stand by any of it don't ask us we just work here". Even though the editorial board actually had to lean on this. Complete rubbish.

The publication history completely hides that this was a re-publication, the small notice at the bottom is very easy to miss. Even less obvious than Cochrane's notice that the review is inadequate. Incredible display of consciousness of guilt over how inappropriate this all is.

The very definition of a whitewash. Beyond unethical and straight into corrupt territory. This is not how science works. This is not what medicine is supposed to be about. This is politics and ideology, nothing but pushing through something that obviously does not deserve to be shown publicly other than as an example of technical and moral bankruptcy in medical research.

5. Kalliope

Reminds me of something I heard today about Fauci. This was in connection with a study on hydroxochloroquine:

“That study is a flawed study,” Fauci said.
    When Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.) interjected to say the study was peer-reviewed, Fauci replied: “It doesn’t matter. You can peer review something that’s a bad study.”

Source

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Michiel Tack - so have the BMJ told you that they're refusing to publish your comment?

7. Kalliope

Trial by Error by David Tuller: Update on BMJ's CBT-Music Therapy Study (h/t Steinkopf and Tack)

The investigators’ new version of the paper is still trash and it still stinks, for multiple reasons–including some that marred the first version. But at least it does not misrepresent itself as a feasibility study. However, in violation of its own stated policy, BMJ Paediatrics Open is refusing to post the peer reviews for this replacement version–even as it tells me in its latest letter (see below) that readers can be “reassured” about the robustness of its peer review process.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The comments from BMJ are excessively insulting and reflect a culture of ineptitude at the very goals of science. This was a fully politicized process, nothing scientific or legitimate here.

The idea that this new secretive "peer review", which no one can see, should be trusted despite being even less credible than the previous process is absurd. It's the ultimate in "we investigated ourselves and have found no wrongdoing". The circumstances demand excessive transparency and they respond with even more secretive procedures and a blatantly insulting response.

And no mention of the peer reviewer who admitted not to have read the paper. Which pretty much suggests that this is an acceptable practice at BMJ, raising the question of how often it happens. Maybe it's standard. Maybe it's nearly universal. Maybe not. Maybe it only happens with patient populations that are widely hated. Who can tell? Who decides who is worthy of basic respect and who can be treated with contempt?

Really shows how fully de-humanized we have been, that we are not deserving of the most basic respect for the most fundamental requirements of credible science. This is not acceptable in the least, and it is simply casually dismissed as irrelevant.

Chezboo, alktipping, Simbindi and 8 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The BMJ is so consistently appalling on this stuff.

Michelle, MEMarge, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: My Letter to BMJ Paediatrics Open about the CBT-Music Therapy Study
    https://www.virology.ws/2020/11/25/...trics-open-about-the-cbt-music-therapy-study/

alktipping, EzzieD, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, Atle, lycaena and 14 others like this.