1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Occupy ME: Public Comment on Engaging People with ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://occupyme.net/2018/06/20/public-comment-on-engaging-people-with-me/

ahimsa, brf, Invisible Woman and 10 others like this.
  2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was difficult to listen to the public comment today.

After Ben HsuBorger (?) from MEAction spoke, Amrit made a very stupid comment reprimanding ME non-profits for not working together and making too many demands. I was shocked because MillionsMissing just happened, followed by a huge lobbying effort...all of these actions were collaborative. She just wanted to pat the agencies on the back. It made me sick because I think she is a valuable member given her background and education. I'm still hoping for staunch allies and not people who think that they must carry a hint of disdain for PwME to be considerate "legitimate" to serve in this capacity for their own credibility with federal agents.

The second thing that caught my attention was Cindy Bateman's presentation on the "ECHO" healthcare model. She literally handed the federal agencies completed work that would have taken them two years to "study" at a huge price tag. She did it through her non-profit and said, "here...it's a great model...do something with it."

I'm left realizing that we have advocates leading the feds to water and they don't know what to do. What is happening in the UK with a debate in Parliament...we need that here in the US. We need political pressure. All we are doing is screaming into sound-proof rooms that the government has supplied to us so they don't have to hear us.