1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Jamison Writes: "How to Properly Name a Disease"

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://jamisonwrites.com/2018/12/10/name-calling/

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Another concern I had was that our spot on the podcast would be very short — five minutes"

Sometimes it takes me that long to say the name depending on how tired I am :rolleyes:

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the misleading term cfs is dropped from the community's vocabulary, perhaps it will disappear, just as some in authority have tried to eliminate the concept of ME as a distinct, debilitating disease.

4. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I struggle with the same, I believe ME describe my disease (I do feel the inflammation on the spine and brain) so I don't care who says we don't, I feel it. But I am afraid plp will not understand ME name only.

5. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I concur.

Outside the UK, the term ME is effectively non-existent to the general public.

It is much easier to brand an unknown term, ME, than it is to try to re-brand 'chronic fatigue syndrome'.

The less we use the cfs term, the sooner it will fade into history. Getting our researchers to change their language would help too.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @ScottTriGuy. I think one reason we haven't switched off cfs, is that community members are worried that people won't know what we're talking about. Ironically, those outside the community don't know what cfs means anyways. They just think they know what it means: lazy, delusional, malingering, benefit scrounging, burnt out, overly busy, while some of us think we are conveying the name of an illness, something they will understand as a physical illness.

We aren't doing ourselves any favours. In my small sampling of how these things go, when I've said I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis people seem interested etc. If I then "explain" that ME is also called CFS, they say "Oh", in that disinterested, tone of voice that tells me they think they know what I'm talking about. In these scenarios, what I haven't done is what I set out to do, which is explain ME to them. Well, that can take volumes, but there are some short cuts.

The sooner we get rid of the term cfs, the better. By using it to try and explain what the term ME means, we are denigrating the term ME, and the disease. As many have said, it's like calling lung cancer chronic coughing disease. Pair up lung cancer with chronic coughing disease: lung cancer/chronic coughing disease, and it too may not seem as serious.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep.

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and MEMarge like this.