1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blog: Ill versus disabled – is there a distinction between the two?

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, May 4, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://inclusionproject.org.uk/soci...abled-is-there-a-distinction-between-the-two/

2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's also quite a difference between people with mild ME and those on the more severe end of the spectrum. People with mild ME (still able to do some work and have a social life, participate in life events and gatherings) are much more similar to regular disabled than they are to those that are severe for who those things have become non-existent.

Indigophoton, Yessica, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some good comments under this too. This project is taking on some interesting issues that I've only ever thought about quite vaguely in the past. Thanks to all involved.

Yessica and arewenearlythereyet like this.
  4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found the following so true

“I still believe that there are kind people in the world but unless you’ve walked in our shoes it is extremely hard to understand what it’s like to be severely ill your whole life.”

I’ve not been severely ill my whole life but have had an invisible illness most of my life which I have learned to hide due to the disgust mentioned. My mild ME (more recent illness) allows me to work but is impossible to hide due to the restrictions ...The other day I had to ask for a chair to sit on for a team building activity that required everyone to stand. Small things can single you out and cause a sort of malicious gossip to start for the largely unimaginative.

However there are truly beautiful people who can imagine what it’s like and are considerate. They do seem to be a small minority though from experience . I think it’s human nature to reject the perceived weak...this is base behaviour though a bit like mob behaviour. I think the same can be said for “out of sight out of mind” I think this is a defence mechanism to avoid the frightening. It’s tricky because the majority opinion makes it difficult to change prejudiced views....this is a slow game.

Only by making non visible people visible can we change this

Mij, TiredSam, Indigophoton and 8 others like this.