1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia - Adam Bandt MP

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Sly Saint, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Adam Bandt
    19 September at 16:53 ·
    The effects of myalgic encephalomyelitis, or ME for short, are devastating enough to leave 25 per cent of sufferers housebound or bedbound and an estimated 75 per cent unable to work.

But, there are no government programs supporting ME awareness in Australia, there are no approved pharmaceutical treatments and, sadly, there is no cure.

It's time to take this seriously and increase funding and research for this disease for the hundreds of thousands here and the missing millions around the world.

from Adam Bandt MP on Facebook
    " I’ve been reading some very powerful comments here. Thank you to the ME community for helping open my eyes to this debilitating disease and understand better what you’re going through. I hope that together we can raise awareness, get some change in the NDIS experience and boost research funding. Please stay in touch [​IMG]"
    [​IMG]

MyalgicE, ladycatlover, diwa and 30 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Well done Aussies :thumbup:

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This makes me very happy. The clip is worth a listen. Adam Bandt is Deputy Leader of the Australian Greens Party, MP for my Australian electorate. I thought he was a good man before he had a view on ME; I was not wrong.

Well done to Christa Callanan (sorry if I have got her name wrong) who approached Adam. Well done to Emerge and everyone else involved. Brilliant.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I am guessing Bandt has been talking to Scott Ludlam, among others.

MyalgicE, MEMarge, andypants and 4 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very succinct and powerful message from Bandt - congratulations to Christa for getting him on board.

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are we ready in Australia to formally ask representatives of all parties, major and minor, what their policy on ME is?

7. Sean

Always a good time to ask when there is an election looming (within 12 months max, more likely a lot less).

By 'formally' do you mean via S4ME or MEAction or a collective approach from Oz patient groups?

ladycatlover, andypants and Trish like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All the groups and individuals as well would be ideal. Yes, I am mindful of a pending election. I do want to keep this free of other political considerations, just on ME.

9. Sean

Agreed. Doesn't need to be any more than simply asking:

What is your policy on ME/CFS?

10. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Krista Callinan. She approached Adam at a meeting, and got him to open the screening of Unrest at Bio21. She’s done a great job with cultivating him as an ally!

11. Sly Saint

Australian Greens MP, Adam Bandt, formally tabled a petition for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) in Parliament on Dec. 4th.
    rest here:
    https://www.meaction.net/2018/12/05...rliament/?mc_cid=8ba21b5cef&mc_eid=c1fdea04b1

rvallee, petrichor, Sean and 6 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint