1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: We Might Have Long Covid All Wrong (covers FND,ME/CFS,includes Sharpe,Garner, Carson and more).

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 8, 2022.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mom said she's particularly angry about this sentence, because how can you actually predict that?
    I like that the article said that, because it's one of the few concrete claims she makes, and could well be disproved in the future. And if it is, the entire article's logic collapses like a Jenga tower. The existence of a treatment means we've likely unraveled ME enough to clear all doubt it's psychosomatic.

Missense, Ariel, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Is the Long Covid Phenomenon an Expression of “Psychosocial Distress”?

"For the second time in a few weeks, a major US news organization has provided Professor Michael Sharpe, lead PACE investigator and one-time Virology Blog commenter, with a high-profile platform to disseminate his typical blather and nonsense. Both articles—the first in New York Magazine, the second in The New Republic-have presented the long Covid phenomenon as largely psychosomatic.

I wrote an extended twitter thread and a blog post about the pretty awful New York Magazine piece, which highlighted my 15,000-word investigation of the PACE trial but misrepresented my criticisms. I won’t bother more about that article for now. As for The New Republic‘s iteration by Natalie Shure, an experienced science and health journalist, poet Meghan O’Rourke, author of The Invisible Kingdom, has written an excellent thread about it, and sociologist Zeynep Tufekci, a New York Times opinion columnist, exchanged tweets with the reporter and pushed back against her interpretation of events."

https://www.virology.ws/2022/12/14/...menon-an-expression-of-psychosocial-distress/

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"The author also interviewed Professor Sharpe; two of his former students, neurologists Professor Alan Carson and Professor Jon Stone;"

I did not know that. Yet, somehow, I don't feel surprised by the incestuous nature of it all.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Lilas and 11 others like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't checked for Jon Stone, but Alan Carson is also a signatory on the coming paper signed by 50 very very very unbiased scientists.

Ariel, EzzieD, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharpe was at Edinburgh University for a while. He published the first FND paper with Jon Stone, who was still at Edinburgh last year, in 2008. Though the idea of psychologically induced neurological disorders predated this, the flood of papers since then have moved it into the mainstream and has claimed diseases far beyond the neurological.

I have heard that he had a hand in the CDC definition of CFS as well and, of course, the oxford definition was his. The damage the man has done, and the suffering he has caused, is incalculable.

Lilas, Ariel, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent as ever, thanks, @dave30th.

ukxmrv, Lilas, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1602815058513317888

I forget which one, but this journalist has written a good article published recently. Seems to know his stuff.

Sly Saint, Lilas, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

he just wrote about long covid clinics for Popular Science magazine. We've had some contact. He's having a hard time with his long covid.

MEMarge, Sly Saint, Ariel and 10 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge, Ariel, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  11. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a new term I made:

Quantum Medicine is where a medical professional attempts to hold two irreconcilable views about patients. For example if you have ME and your main symptom is long term harm from exercising beyond your PEM threshold, the doctor claims to believe that your symptoms are real but prescribes GET. How can he/she believe that you're harmed by exercise then tell you the solution is to exercise?

It is trying to occupy two different positions at the same time.

bobbler, Keela Too, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  12. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What she is saying from my understanding is that fnd has no scientific basis and should be scrapped and shows biases in doctors diagnosis

MEMarge, Mithriel, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  13. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you. What threw me were the words ‘not ready’ as I felt it could imply it would be eventually.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  14. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In some of her twitter posts she goes further in that the complete ideal of fnd/conversion disorder should be scrapped completely

MEMarge, Mithriel, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  15. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2023
  16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a full-sized desktop PC, so I am seeing a left hand panel which has the words "Outline" then underneath "Signatures". If I click on Signatures then page down to beyond the last signature I can click on that space then type in what I want. I don't know if there is a specific Save one has to press - I haven't tried adding my own name yet.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Edit the document to add your name at the bottom and Miles will accept your edit. I think the document auto saves.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you

SNT Gatchaman likes this.