1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: We Might Have Long Covid All Wrong (covers FND,ME/CFS,includes Sharpe,Garner, Carson and more).

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 8, 2022.

1. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, totally agree, it is a travesty. Competent medical (and psychological care for those who do need it) is all a pwME is asking for.

I do not think we will be dismantling the medical and psychiatric system but they must be educated from top done and bottom up (i.e. from our advocacy and “good” professional colleges). Unfortunately, as you well know, people get into consultant and academic positions and hold them for say 30-40+ odd years before retirement. Then, after retirement, they still have major influence on the medical, psychoanalytic/psychosomatic and psychiatric community. Then, their country, give them knighthoods and lots of research money and they smugly think they are untouchable.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And why wouldn't they. They clearly still have sufficient political power to brazenly pervert and bulldoze their way through every attempt to hold them accountable and restrain them.

Their only concession so far has been to tweak their sales pitch a bit. I doubt that makes any practical difference in the clinic or to the lives of patients.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks again for continuing to respond on this.

Blood tests are not a sure way to diagnose epilepsy:
    Blood biomarkers in epilepsy, 2022
    So, blood tests are a long way from being a foolproof method to diagnose epilepsy. As I wrote in a post above, other methods of diagnosing epilepsy are also far from perfect, including EEGs. I don't think the inadequacy of tools to diagnose epilepsy is in dispute. So, we are left with a diagnosis of a functional disorder by exclusion, and by the clinician's experience. I understand that there might be a very rare person who is faking epileptic seizures and clinicians might be able to pick that up, but I still can't see what evidence there is for the existence of psychosomatic seizures. Are you still completely confident that the people you saw diagnosed with functional seizures were having functional seizures? Perhaps functional seizures do occur, but I don't understand how you can be sure. And, if you can't be sure, should that uncertainty not be conveyed to the patient?

I do understand that, for sure it is true. But, at the same time, people with ME/CFS have suffered at the hands of clinicians who feel that their experience trumps evidence, or that there is no need for evidence. To quote a recent tongue in cheek post on the Humour thread:
    It's great that you have seen hours of time spent ruling out other possibilities before a psychosomatic diagnosis is made. As others have said, that is certainly not the case all of the time. People can be diagnosed with psychosomatic disorders with no investigations at all. In the case of those people you came across who were diagnosed with functional seizures, did they all get given the more invasive forms of EEG that can pick up seizures in the deeper layers of the brain before they were diagnosed with functional seizures, or was there just a reliance on scalp EEGs?

In Australia, my son saw a psychologist with the aim of getting him some support to cope with the sudden losses when he got ME/CFS. He didn't really need or particularly want the referral, but 10 free sessions with a psychologist was one of the few things our GP could do, and so we thought, 'what harm can it do?'. The psychologist diagnosed my son with conversion disorder (another name for functional disorder), despite there being no history of significant trauma of any sort and my son being very content with his life at the time he became ill. Perhaps that sounds unlikely; I probably would be skeptical if I had not experienced it. But, that's all it took - a psychologist who believes that the symptoms of ME/CFS are symptoms of a functional disorder, and, bam, you have 'conversion disorder' in your medical record. I know of a young person in New Zealand who was, fairly recently, told at a pain clinic that her ME/CFS symptoms were because of a functional disorder.

As you acknowledge is the case in ME/CFS, sometimes biomarkers of non-psychosomatic pathology just can't be found with the level of effort that a reasonably diligent doctor can arrange. What should be done when there are no signs to indicate an alternative diagnosis? Does it come down to the experience (and prejudices) of the clinician? What chance does a person with a history of mental illness diagnoses, school truancy and maybe some confrontations with people in authority have of avoiding having their reports of physical symptoms in the absence of biomarkers being labelled as a functional disorder when my son, who liked school, was liked by friends and teachers and was psychologically well, could not?

The thing is, very often clinicians don't have to prove things.

I just want to note that I know psychiatrists often get given a hard time on this forum. Many of the strongest BPS proponents are, in fact, not psychiatrists. And there are a number of reports from members that a psychiatrist believed them when they said their symptoms weren't psychosomatic and wrote a report to say just that. And that that report made a huge difference to the way they were treated in the medical system. A good psychiatrist can really help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Amw66, rvallee, Lilas and 11 others like this.
  4. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan

:laugh:, I think the tongue in cheek paper corresponds very much to my experience (and seems to apply to Garner quite well currently)….I could also name a few people in my country but going about lambasting them could be troublesome and create more trouble for advocates….

I am retired, for some years, so can only talk to the basics and will be behind on current psych literature, but I agree major mistakes will be being made in Australasia.

The most egregious thing is, none of this cases get reported or discussed outside the psychiatric profession, if at all, outside their very small peer review groups (neurology and psychiatry). Or they are presented as an example in a grand round either at a hospital or to the local area of psychiatrists, and that depends on where you live. That disseminates BPS/Functional Disorder information, said as facts, to to the entire medical and health professionals present if done in a hospital (I have seen this some years ago).

(The difficulty having ME and being a psychiatrist, meant I had to silence myself in all educational meetings, as one mention of having it, means people see and treat you differently, as all pwME know. This also affects your professional reputation as it is still seen by some psychiatrists as a psychosomatic disorder. I knew only one Occupational Therapist who was diagnosed with it just before I retired but some of my colleagues had post-viral syndromes and very grateful for their support as would not have finished training without their wise advice).

It is so difficult for patient forums to discuss the issue of the ongoing and current diagnosing of Functional Disorders and publicise it because of the need for anonymity for the pwME which is difficult in small countries and states. There is also the issue of Pacific Island psychiatry that leans heavily on Australasian psychiatry so will be worse off with respect to these matters but they have different cultural traditions but still the stigma remains.

It deeply saddens me. Being retired, means, if I sent a letter to my professional college it would likely end up in the dustbin

Only one practising psychiatrist on the Gold Coast has had a letter published in the Australasian psychiatric journals advocating for the biomedical treatment of ME/CFS. It has been discussed at conferences but not published for public perusal. That is not good enough.

Thank you for your accepting words.:hug:

Amw66, Mithriel, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That's really sad. That must have been terribly isolating and difficult for you.

You are right. I find it frightening to hear how deep and wide the belief in ME/CFS as a functional disorder, and functional disorders in general runs within the medical system in Australasia, particularly as, after 5 years or so with ME/CFS, I stopped hiding that I have it. It is uncomfortable to feel judged, and there might even be serious consequences to have the label. I think it must be a bit like being gay in my country about 20 years ago.

My son never told anyone at his university, any of the lecturers or his honours thesis supervisor, that he has ME/CFS, not at any time during the four years of his degree, even when some minor accommodations would have helped a lot. People should not have to feel ashamed of being sick. Perhaps the numbers of medical professionals getting Long Covid will help change things. In the meantime, I think being open about having symptoms that amount to ME/CFS is a political act.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Amw66, livinglighter, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And terrified of the consequences of trying to discuss it with doctors.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member