1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article by Paul Worthley

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by JohnTheJack, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I like @strategist's new word!

Omnibabble = reframing a folk psychological explanation in "biological" terms without actually significantly altering the causal claim.

e.g.
    "Stress and worry can destabilise the HPA axis, leading to chronic illness"
    "People who are in chronic pain exhibit greater activity in brain areas associated with pain perception"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    MEMarge, alktipping, Inara and 5 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Sometimes you just need a "like x100" button!

Sarah94, alktipping, Inara and 5 others like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is anybody actually in "chronic brain"? and if so can they tell me.......

or am I missing something - possibly brain related?

Sisyphus, TiredSam, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

The Goop effect. n. The phenomenon whereby self-confidence obtained from attainment, adulation or accolades in one field overgeneralises to another, entirely unrelated field. deriv. Actress Gwynneth Paltrow's company Goop, specifically the line of "wellness" products it markets.

5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

fixed, I'm sorry to say.... but maybe I should have left it up for a laugh...

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

In covering your arse, perhaps. But otherwise, fuck off with your hippie new-age bullshit. :grumpy:

7. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my view this is gross over simplification and likely wrong too. I'm surprised at this from a dr with experience of severe ME, Jessica Taylor was In burrswood a long time.

Regarding two areas seriously affecting the severe
    1) light sensitivity and cognitive dysfunction. From my reading there are over laps with concussion where light and noise sensitivity I've seen put down to hyper excitability of parts of brain and inability to filter as it shouldd, these have also been mentioned in ME. Explaining the requirement to be in a dark room because of a locked fight or flight phenomena.... like wise the cognitive issues can get severe, and explaining it as the body redirecting resources in F & F when it could be much more ... it might make vague sense in the mildly ill, who then think what they need is reflexology, but not when you look down the line of severity. Interestingly from what I read on concussion and post tbi there's talk of cellular energy crisis, mitochondria impact, free radicals, inflammation, ion and axon dysfunction - all things we have heard in ME - and none of which show on normal MRI.
    2) unable to relax muscles again because of fight or flight
    In severe ME some people are on baclofen , the same anti spasm med used for MS, our hands can go into the typical Neurological claw, our limbs contort, It seems we have hypertonia, which perhaps in the mild cases can just feel like a vague inability to relax.

I'm very surprised this same basis probably talked of by chalder, Gupta , Phil Parker etc with just a different treatment approach i.e. CBT, Gupta , LP or pacing is being put out as science in 2018.
    Also the idea the stressed and dysfunctional body /SNS just needs to be reassured " all is well" , that activity is ok in a gradual way, what evidence for that explanation and is that a risky message to send to parents via AFME. If you have a sick child where T cells are going loopy, energy metabolism is impaired and you work on the basis that the problem is a locked hyper SNS state that can be retaught and healed via pacing & GAT, isn't that an issue?

lunarainbows, JemPD, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Disappointing that AFME was allowing such drivel to be published in their magazine as recently as this year.

Sarah94, Hutan, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ME Trust Facebook post linking to the article.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thank you @hellytheelephant for describing your experience at Burrswood. It sounds like a very affirming and positive one in terms of diagnosis and being believed, which are both very important. I'd love to spend time in a beautiful environment being looked after like that. But, as you say, it's not a cure or even a treatment. At its best, it's respite care. And thanks for the update that it's not a hospital any more.

I think there is a need for places like this that provide support, care and belief in the patient's experience, and whatever symptomatic medical treatment and personal care is needed, especially for those severely and very severely affected, as a respite from the often far from ideal living situations many of us have, and to help explore and stabilise symptomatic treatments and assess ongoing support needs.

The only option now seems to be nursing homes that are geared towards elderly and dementia care, languishing at home without sufficient care, or noisy, busy unsuitable acute medical or psychiatric hospitals which make pwme worse.

Edit to add: but it shouldn't come wrapped in psychobabble, even of the most apparently benign sort.

11. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

This is what I find so frustrating. White, Wessely, Chalder, Crawley, etc all take the illness seriously and have found ways to help some people manage the effects of their symptoms. That is not negligible. If only only they'd stopped there then they would have done some good.

They have always insisted though that there is just 'chronic fatigue' and that what they are doing is treatment. The two are connected, of course, because to admit there is ME would be to acknowledge the possibility that they are only treating CF and helping some ME patients manage the effects of their illness.

But of course, then there wouldn't have been decades of research and policy-making.

TiredSam, Graham, Sean and 6 others like this.
  12. April

April Established Member (Voting Rights)

Somebody I know was in Burrswood a few years ago after being very severely injured in a car crash. She was there for rehabilitation and had a lot of physio to get her moving again. Very caring people and a lovely place. I think they have done a lot of very good work.
    As far as their treatment for ME goes it's the same old problem - they had to operate using the NICE guidelines.

13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For what reason though? It's private, not NHS.

14. April

April Established Member (Voting Rights)

Her treatment was paid for by an insurance company. Some ME patients who went there were funded by the ME Trust. Any doctors working there would still have to use NICE guidelines if they want to keep their registration.

15. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought we already had a short word that covered it. Woo.

From RationalWiki: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

Sean, Trish and alktipping like this.
  16. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

you forget all their major incomes came from an insurance company who has paid members of the psychiatric profession to deny illness other than mental health as professional witnesses do you not think their whole outlook on diseases was skewed in order to justify their parasitic/self centred greed.

Inara and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's head-messing mind games.

JohnTheJack likes this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another one who seems to have no proper understanding of the condition he is an 'expert' in.
    Sensory sensitivity in ME has nothing whatever to do with SNS activation. At least not in whatever is wrong with me.
    The reason i am so certain of this is that i have had PTSD. I am intimately acquainted with what fight of flight feels like, and it's nothing like the sensory processing difficulties experienced in ME, at least in whatever I am suffering from that has been dx as ME. If ME is as he describes then I don't have it.

Indeed when I am actually in fight or flight my sensory difficulties diminish... DIMINISH... drastically. At moments of peak anxiety/danger it is a physical relief, because I can tolerate 5-10 times the sensory input as I can when relaxed. I can also do more, and my thinking is MORE alert, sharper & the fog disappears. I have told that to umpteen doctors over the years, they seem incapable of hearing it.
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

What I find most frustrating is that Doctors, researchers & the like, they cant seem to recognise that ME needs a category of it's own, a new pigeon hole. Pattern recognition seems to override their ability to actually hear what's being said - so strong that they just have to fit what we describe into things they already know about.

19. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I think there's an unmentioned elephant in that jungle.

MEMarge, alktipping, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, ME/CFS patients aren't in constant fight or flight mode. Hypersensitivty or sensory problems aren't the same thing as fight or flight mode.

Even when I had marked POTS and tachycardia I wouldn't describe it as fight or flight mode despite the same stress hormones being involved. The body is much more nuanced than this reductionist view. Such comparisons just create confusion.

MEMarge, lycaena, alktipping and 8 others like this.