1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Americans with Disabilities Act under serious attack

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by zzz, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From HuffPost:

The GOP Wants To Gut The Americans With Disabilities Act

And from NBC News:

The GOP's H.R. 620 will gut the Americans With Disabilities Act, pushing disability rights back to 1989

From the NBC News article:

2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the point, voters of the current administration buy into the if your disabled its either your fault or too bad for you mindset. They hate healthcare as well which will lead to a higher population of people with disabilities (among other things) :emoji_face_palm:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps the next step can be a tax break for barbed wire and other security measures to be installed to really keep those malingering bastards away from decent folk and their right to make profit before anything else?

In fact why not dispense with disabled children at the school gates before they become adults and a real burden on companies profitability. Hopefully soon the teachers can just shoot them before they get past the school gates?

Sorry to be so sarcastic but I am deeply troubled by some of recent events and the rather bonkers decision making that's going on...it all seems without intelligence or moral leadership ....I can no longer believe what is happening to be honest and can't even anticipate what will happen next...it feels like dystopian fiction

4. meandthecat

meandthecat Established Member

Skycloud and arewenearlythereyet like this.
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I have no doubt that for some Brexit means a sweeping away of a lot of what some would call "red tape" all in the interest of improving British business. The easy targets will be the sick and vulnerable. It's already difficult to prove an employer is behaving in a discriminatory way unless you want to go to court of course and then you will struggle to find legal insurance that will cover your costs (circa £20k).

I can't imagine what the system will be like when employers are emboldened further by a loosening of these laws.

Skycloud and Trish like this.