1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ad campaigns - why hasn't there been one for ME?

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sly Saint, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People in the UK may have seen a lot of adverts recently for Versus Arthritis; I only found out just now that Versus Arthritis was formed in 2018 following a merger of Arthritis Care and Arthritis Research UK.

(Arthritis Research UK are on the CMRC).

Although I thought the earlier ads were a bit dodgy, the campaign has undeniably raised the profile of Versus Arthritis.

Given the almost non existent media coverage of all things ME related (unless it is sanctioned by the SMC and so invariably reports the wrong information) I was wondering why none of the ME charities had ever done any kind of ad campaign?

I guess the answer to that has been money.

But nowadays with social media we know there are those in the community who have contacts who could assist in producing a short (usually in multiples of 10 seconds,'standard' is 30 sec) ad.

Similarly we have public figures (eg Stuart Murdoch) who are already helping with advocacy.

As a community, crowdfunding has kept David Tuller going and I think everyone would agree his work has been a very worthwhile 'investment'.

there are many websites which cover both of these in more detail, but a 'budget' campaign would be doable for the tens of thousands (excluding cost of ad production).

"TV Advertising can be broken into two main costs, Creative (the making of your advert) and Media (the cost of placing it on a channel)."

https://www.tvadvertising.co.uk/tv-advertising-costs

example of costs:
    http://thetvagency.com/tv-advertising-costs/

(Something that included #MillionsMissing would be good)

will leave it there and see what people think.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. I'd rather our limited money as a community went targeted education of doctors, therapists, schools etc, better web materials about ME for those who search for it, supporting patients and research.

The problem with ads is they actually convey very little information, and it's lack of understanding we face. Everyone has a fair idea of what arthritis is, so all the ads have to do is get the name Versus Arthritis better known. For ME, where would we start?

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Here’s a video Alzheimer’s Research UK use on social media. I can’t remember if I’ve seen it on TV or not I think I might have on one of the smaller channels. The message is very simple Nobody has survived Alzheimer’s, but it is a disease so a cure is possible. The video is clever because it uses a baby rather than showing an older person ie need to fund research now so our youngsters don’t have to face dementia.

https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/makepossible/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  4. NelliePledge

I wonder how much the small channels are like Gold, Dave, etc.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Action for ME were using short videos in tweets recently associated with an appeal. People can share for free anything like that they like.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a wild and crazy idea: an educational ad, or promotion of a ME presentation, film, video, book etc., in a medical magazine/journal. The powers that be likely wouldn't allow it, but an amusing, and heartening thought nonetheless!

7. Dolphin

Yes, I think there might be circumstances where that could be worth the money.

By the way, people can complain about drug companies and their advertising, but sometimes I think the ads they pay for can be useful to highlight the debilitating effects of an illness as well as raising awareness, meaning more people get diagnosed.

8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its a good idea, but what are the goals, who has the money and where can we find the talent needed to run a campaign?

WillowJ, DokaGirl and ladycatlover like this.
  9. NelliePledge

I would say if it’s a general audience the goal should be to communicate that ME is a very serious and sometimes fatal disease affecting a lot of people and if enough money is invested in research a cure is possible.

If it is to medics same message plus using some egs of abnormalities found - im not the right person to say what. Personally I would use Ron Davis quote about putting normal cells into ME serum and ME cells into normal serum.

10. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Id be for it, yes lack of money has been quoted in the past. I think that this is where #MEAction have the edge as they’re all about mobilising the community and volunteers rather than thinking we can’t afford to pay a company to do this

This is where then name is a problem, chronic fatigue syndrome doesn’t sound serious. Do you have an advert busting myths or just act serious like Alzheimer’s as if the past hasn’t happened and just highlight the illness. Doing things innovatively would be good ... there must be people with ME with that skill set /experience, I remember an Alzheimer’s advert with an orange, the arthritis videos currently on tv are good.

I think MS society have done good fatigue awareness ones but a A PEM one might be very good for us as it’s that we want to emphasise, no fatigue talk at all. Perhaps one featuring a child as the public would less likely psychologise a child in pain in a dark room. It’s the suffering and debilitating side we need to get across, not someone active but weary. There’s so many angles, I thought in unrest the Jessica Taylor footage was effective especially the passing of birthdays in the same situation, something like that could be contrasted split screen with her peers and sticking photos on the walls as teens do,marking all there fabulous experiences.
    Really we need a few adverts, one just graphic to move people , one informative of one long one combining. Print adverts are cheaper but what would you say... . I think it’s undeniable the name and stigma are man made barriers we have others don’t.

Solve ME/CFS did put that CFS advert in Times Square America, I don’t know it’s impact, I think you need an advert which gets more information out than they did as there’s such ignorance

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    WillowJ, DokaGirl and Trish like this.
  11. Dolphin

I’m not sure whether ME Action would be a good fit as unlike with patients, they might not get a lot of donations from the general public to cover the costs of the ad.

WillowJ and ladycatlover like this.
  12. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So basically the same track as MS, Alzheimers, Parkinsons and the rest.
    The worst part of our disease is that we have little honeymoon period, by the time most are diagnosed they are moderate or severe and have trouble running anything. We need employees who understand our disease and can do the pavement pounding that we can't

13. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Idea: Fifty years ago, WHO classified ME as a neurological disease. Decades on, scientists are now verifying this - photo of ME brain showing wide spread inflammation, and link to Jarred's study in Brain Imaging and Behaviour. (Include photos of kids.) But, Jarred's study did not include children; could include them in numbers, and notes as below.

Then note numbers with ME, lack of funding, prejudice, stigma, hope for treatments soon.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: Posts about a webinar by Jarred Younger have been moved here

Invisible Woman likes this.
  15. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PANDORA Org funded a public service announcement at one time.

Seems like there was a display at Mall of America (Minneapolis, MN) once.

I think CDC might have done one once. Seems like that was the one about missing one’s life. There’s a depression one I see sometimes that’s striking similar. I can’t find the one of ours like this that I recall but I find the depression one whenever I look for it.

16. Dolphin

Attached Files:

WillowJ likes this.
  17. Dolphin

Radio PSA
    "Get Informed"
    60 Second Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Radio Script
    Transcript:
    SIC: Emotional under throughout.

MAN: My memory is shot.

WOMAN: My legs feel like lead.

MAN: Every muscle in my body is screaming.

WOMAN: So why does everyone think the problem is in my head?

FEMALE ANNCR: Chronic fatigue syndrome can be as isolating as it is debilitating—especially when those around you don’t understand what you’re going through.

If you’re experiencing extreme exhaustion coupled with difficulty sleeping and concentrating, body pain and flu-like symptoms, you could have chronic fatigue syndrome. But you’re not alone. More than one million Americans suffer from CFS, but less than 20% have been diagnosed.

Log on to www.cdc.gov/cfs for the latest research and guidance on diagnosis and management. That’s www.cdc.gov/cfs.

WOMAN: Get informed.

MAN: Get diagnosed.

WOMAN: Get help.

FEMALE ANNCR: A public service announcement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

18. Dolphin

Attached Files:

WillowJ likes this.
  19. WillowJ

Of course, it could be great to do another.

Maybe with a guess of the prevalence, that most are not diagnosed, doctors aren’t educated in it, but we do know a little (problems with making energy in the body, problems with the immune system, and many patients have trouble regulating heart rate and blood pressure),

describe PEM, mention the functional spectrum and that most patients are doing poorly and some very severe,

symptoms alleviation, assistive devices, help with obtaining any needed accommodations and benefits, as well as checking carefully for any co-existing treatable diseases and conditions would be good care.

And to please contact your elected officials (with an agreed message)

DokaGirl likes this.
  20. WillowJ

That’s why it was never on YouTube.
    ETA: other ad. I forgot that one.