1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Life Hidden - Blog posts by Naomi Whittingham

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Naomi10

Naomi10 Established Member (Voting Rights)

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for writing, @Naomi10

I really admire your writing and am looking forward to read the rest of the article series.

And thanks for adding the section summaries. I'm sure that made the text much more accessible for many. :)

Moosie, Simbindi, Frankie and 16 others like this.
  3. Naomi10

:)

I hope so :)

Simbindi, Frankie, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I particularly appreciate the section acknowledging that finding yourself in the presence of someone who listens and who presents as compassionate is not the same as someone who is without an agenda or bias as to why you are ill or what to do about it.

The BPS position has developed skill over time in relaying their views. It is a new kind of trap and a more insidious one. If people are left believing they are being truly helped 'this time' what will be the outcome when they realise they are not being helped in a way that heals (or even alleviates) but merely pacifies or worse. And yes sometimes the individual therapist has fooled themselves as well.

In many of the recovery stories that I see this is a theme. The person felt cared for and listened to.

While this attitude is an essential ingredient in good care it is not sufficient and only the beginning. At the heart of the problem is a disregard for the patient. A disbelief in their ability to be capable of knowing their own experience (even actively undermining that knowledge).

And sadly, sometimes (as vulnerable sick people) we co-operate with their superior knowledge even as the evidence mounts that it conflicts with the reality of what is happening to us.

But we have felt cared for.

And when this is done to children this represents a horrible breach of trust that IMO rises to the level of criminal.

5. Oni

Oni Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Naomi10

Great piece and so on point. I really look forward to the rest of the serie.

Frankie, Anna H, Annamaria and 9 others like this.
  6. Naomi10

This is so true @Snowdrop.

Frankie, Anna H, Annamaria and 8 others like this.
  7. Naomi10

Thank you @Oni

Anna H, Oni, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Frankie, Annamaria, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  9. Naomi10

Thanks @NelliePledge. I had meant to alert them too. I think the upcoming parts on deconditioning and GET will be especially relevant to them.

Anna H, Annamaria, Sly Saint and 7 others like this.
  10. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much for tagging us - I will have a look this weekend

Frankie, Annamaria, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

When you see this thing from BACME actually has some positive points you think maybe they are moving away a bit from old thinking then you see someone mention elsewhere that as recently as 2018 they invited Per Fink to speak. :banghead:

Simbindi, Frankie, JaneL and 9 others like this.
  12. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Part 2

A Life Hidden: Beneath the Surface, Part 2

By Naomi Whittingham

https://alifehidden.com/2019/10/02/beneath-surface-2/

The second of a three part series analysing the British Association of CFS/ME (BACME) guidelines on severe ME. I have chosen to write extensively on this subject, as the guidelines encompass several themes that are important to me.

In Part 1, I highlighted some positive aspects of the BACME guidelines, as well as giving an overview of my concerns.

Here, in Part 2, I look more closely at the guidelines’ focus on deconditioning and graded exercise therapy (GET), as well as their failure to address issues of critical importance in severe ME.

As this is a lengthy piece and will likely be a challenge for those who are ill, I have once again included a short summary at the end of each section, for anyone unable to read the full text…

Simbindi, Frankie, JaneL and 13 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Great writing again @Naomi10 :thumbup:

Small typo, "Careful planning an timing do..", "an" should be "and".

JaneL, ladycatlover and Naomi10 like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just discovered your great website @Eagles. Hope your don't mind me copying this quote, amongst the many you list:

upload_2019-10-2_13-1-4.png

Precisley. pwME can produce energy, but they cannnot produce sufficient energy on demand. Cannot supply it fast enough to meet the real time demands their body needs. Insufficient power basically, especially for peak demand fluctuations.

Frankie, JaneL, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  15. Naomi10

Thanks @Andy. I’ll correct it. It’s amazing how hard it can be to proofread your own writing!

JaneL, ladycatlover, Anna H and 6 others like this.
  16. Barry

Excellent article @Naomi10, really good.

I cannot get my head round how any ME charity these days can still be peddling this cr*p. Do they really have no scruples? No common sense? No basic humanity? Suspect the answer to all of these is: BPS. There is obviously a lot of BPS influence from within BACME, but I'm sure there will be a lot from without as well - strings being pulled.

bobbler, Simbindi, Frankie and 5 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

They aren’t a charity are they? I thought they’re a “professional” group for people who work in CFS services.

18. Barry

Oh god it's even worse ...

bobbler, Frankie, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  19. Naomi10

Thanks @Barry. As @NelliePledge says, they’re not a charity. In their own words they are “a multidisciplinary organisation for UK professionals who are involved in the evidence-based management of patients.”

bobbler, Simbindi, Frankie and 7 others like this.
  20. Barry

Yes, thanks. Just been onto the website to bring myself up to date.