1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Critical Review to Investigate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as Sleep Disorder, 2019/2020, Gupta

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free fulltext:
    https://ecronicon.com/ecne/a-critic...hronic-fatigue-syndrome-as-sleep-disorder.php

Michelle, Sly Saint, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the study, just the abstract, but a review of literature to attempt to answer the question 'is CFS a sleep disorder?' seems like a useful thing to do. The conclusion seems helpful.

Full text is free access.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Umm, clearly it is possible to define CFS in this way, but if you do, you are wrong.

(Incidentally, the English in this paper is poor. It's distracting; it should be better in an English language publication. It's published in E-Cronicon - the homepage says:
    which isn't reassuring.)

Really?

Some interesting studies are discussed; but it's very patchy. I know there are more CFS sleep studies out there than are reviewed here. It doesn't get into questions of sleep architecture (deep sleep/REM sleep).

Pasting this here as yet another example of cortisol levels not being found to be abnormal.
    This article reads like a literature review done prior to a study using fMRI.
    The lead author's details are as follows:

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)