1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A cohort study of whether parental separation and lack of contact [...] predicts disease severity [...] in young peoples ME/CFS, 2020, O'Donnell et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

If only. If it was random, there would be a chance that sometimes the hypotheses would be useful.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True, and like the way a broken clock is right twice a day. but these people are never right twice a day.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:D:D:D Yes, I overlooked that one.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And in the spirit of pseudo-randomness, it uses the same seed/question and so always gives the same results. So, yeah, spot on.

(for anyone not familiar, computers can't do real randomness without a special device so what they usually do is pseudo-randomness, relying on a "seed" that itself must vary as the same seed gives the same pseudorandom output)

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial by Error by David Tuller: No Links Between "Parental Separation" and Kids' ME Severity

Yet these null findings do not seem to have fazed the investigators or dampened their enthusiasm for their theoretical constructs. To them, the appropriate response to their disappointing results is to push for a larger study and continue to search for psycho-social correlates of illness and illness severity. I guess they think a bigger pile of data will help them locate the evidence they know must be there but could not be teased out with this particular data set. Don’t they have better things to do?

rvallee, rainy, NelliePledge and 8 others like this.