1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trudie Chalder, BPS and MUS proponent - presentations, interviews and news

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Esther12, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think you also have to keep the review of mental health act in the frame too with its review of legal requirements.
    The overall picture has been dussected into pieces in the hope that noone puts them together.
    Thinking of Bob' s experience - it is a perfect storm.

MEMarge, Oni, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is even more dangerous given, even if they were correct about ME being a functional condition, which they are not, advocates for including ME under the MUS umbrella and refusing biomedical assesment are ignoring the fact that ME is associated with higher incidences of other conditions such as cancer.

So following this approach we would be refused medical assesment because of an untested belief that our symptoms should be down played at the same time as we have a higher risk of other life threatening conditions such as coronary heart disease or cancer. So we are in for a double whammy, offered treatment that will make us worse and potentially increase the chance that the ME becomes life threatening and denied or delayed diagnosis for other potentially life threatening conditions.

[added - I did go beyond available evidence in saying 'offered treatment that will make us worse', and should have said 'treatment which some evidence indicates may make us worse']

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    MEMarge, Mithriel, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: It’s just more regurgitation of the same rubbish. The public sector haven’t had proper pay rises for a decade and services cut to the bone and we are funding this utter utter tripe. In fact it’s an insult to tripe as at least tripe can be cooked and provide some nutritional value whereas this is completely without value. Can you tell I’m cross ;)

Hutan, EzzieD, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never knew Bob. What experience(s) did he have that makes people mention him so often? I've read enough to know he was very popular, but that is all I know.

MEMarge likes this.
  6. Sly Saint

7. Arnie Pye

MEMarge likes this.
  8. Sly Saint

Once someone gets an MUS 'diagnosis' and is then referred for CBT I wonder if they are then included in the Mental Health statistics?
    If they are then this whole set up is self-perpetuating empire building........

'We need to put more money into Mental Health'
    'OK here's IAPT......CBT for those with Mental Health problems'
    'Oh and this lot of MUS patients could do with it as well'
    'OK, they can have CBT as well'........
    'Oh look, the figures show that Mental Health Problems are increasing and we cannot give CBT to everyone who needs it'
    'OK, here's some more money'
    'Thanks, by the way, we've just done some research and it 'shows' that these other patients could do with CBT or our new super-dooper version ACT........'

9. Sly Saint

10. NelliePledge

How can this person who isn’t a medic be an expert in knowing if symptoms aren’t able to be medically explained.

inox, MEMarge, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  11. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps @Jonathan Edwards could be persuaded to add this to his diary and ask her himself?

I note that it is a UCL lecture series. I hope it will be recorded.

Amw66, MEMarge, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  12. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That "high-level formal hearing" took place only a fifth of a mile away (1057 days earlier) from where she'll be on the 13th.

13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I picture Chalder first explaining how patients are lazy, perfectionist, irrational, deluded, fearful to the point of self-inflicted disability, and then complaining how patient call her names on the internet.

They've been negatively stereotyping patients for 30 years and can't handle taking what they are constantly dishing out.

MEMarge, Hutan, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She'll be able to quote from Montgommery's BS HRA letter to pretend PACE critics were all misguided without addressing any of the real criticism. I suspect most of the audience will be stupid enough to fall for it.

andypants and rvallee like this.
  15. AR68

16. Sly Saint

Hutan, Roy S, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  17. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, AR68, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  18. NelliePledge

:rofl: I didn’t even get to the woman herself speaking couldn’t get past the glowing description of her top class research career and clinical work by the guy doing the introduction puking on the floor is exactly the image I had in mind too. I’m going to be a chicken and read Sly s transcript in due course. You’re heros for sitting through in person @AR68 and @Sly Saint for no doubt having to listen a few times to get transcript

AR68, MEMarge, andypants and 2 others like this.
  19. Arnie Pye

Sometimes I'm very slow on the uptake. I wondered why anyone had discussed fish.

Edit : I just wanted to add that I'm not koi about carp or any other form of swearing.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  20. AR68