1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

10 ME/CFS Organizations Join Solve M.E.’s Letter to Congress Recommending Priorities for Federal COVID-19 Relief Package

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an email from Solve.

Last month, Solve M.E. identified yet another COVID-19 relief package funding opportunity for ME/CFS and worked with our friends on Capitol Hill to outline additional federal post-viral research and medical education investments.

Ten other ME/CFS organizations joined Solve M.E.’s efforts to urge Congress to consider additional priorities for the upcoming federal 2021 COVID-19 relief package to continue building on the momentum of the $1.15 billion investment announced in December. While we’re encouraged by the recently-announced congressional investment in long COVID research, our work is far from complete. We’ll keep fighting to ensure that post-viral illnesses become better understood, diagnosable, and treatable.

The letter recommends support for other government agencies—the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)—as well as interagency collaboration and stakeholder engagement via a Long COVID Commission. Congress plays a crucial role in addressing unmet needs in medical education, access, and patient outcomes, all of which we believe can best be achieved by lending support to these agencies.

Solve M.E. warmly thanks our other signatories, including: #MEAction, Open Medicine Foundation, Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine Nova Southeastern University, Bateman Horne Center, Simmaron Research, Whittemore Peterson Institute, Pandora, Minnesota ME/CFS Alliance, Florida ME/CFS Patient United, and Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association.

Read the letter in its entirety here.

Kalliope, sebaaa, Yessica and 18 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent news. It's such a precious moment for an initiative like this – not only are large amounts of funding for pandemic recovery potentially available, but the US's brand new broom is sweeping up so energetically in all kinds of areas!

sebaaa, Yessica, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  3. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Today's (Feb 5th 2021) statement from Walter Koroshetz, Director of the NIH.

"The knowledge gained through research on Long COVID syndrome may also positively impact the understanding, treatment, and prevention of ME/CFS and other chronic diseases."
    "It will take a large-scale effort – from all of us – to help find critical answers to this devastating disease."

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/News-Even...ages/New-resources-large-scale-MECFS-research

Moderator note: To discuss this and read more on it go to this thread:USA: NIH National Institute of Health

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
    sebaaa and Yessica like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Andy and Yessica like this.