1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“She used to be Tigger and then she was Eeyore”: young people, CFS/ME, exploring predictors of recovery, 2021, Clery, Crawley et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know @MEMarge . Sonya has mentioned that children use noticably different language - I think that she mentioned the use of fatigue more ( but could be wrong).
    The kids page on AfME was revamped after input from parents on Educate ME project as it simply did not reflect the seriousness of the illness and did not define PEM adequately. It was posiitve that AfME listened and changes were made; there is always room for improvement.

On forums there are exapserated posts of children's sympoms simply being dismissed at Bath if they do not correlate to expected responses, so it could very much be a learned response.

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is particularly relevant given the Bristol researchers seem to be increasingly basing their research on child subjects who have had a year or more input from the associated Bath clinic, as in this study.

Mithriel and Trish like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

indeed. Kids used to simply be discharged....

Trish likes this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if a reason for this is that as parents and families become more aware of concerns about Crawly’s research that it is harder for them to recruit subjects without the opportunities offered by the Bath clinic to pre train (groom) future subjects.

Trish likes this.