1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

You make me tired: An experimental test of the role of interpersonal operant conditioning in fatigue 2018 Bert Lenaert et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Feb 8, 2018.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

chrisb, Joh, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shit like this then leads to children getting taken away from their families.

chrisb, Joh, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Where are these people living? What social reward for being "fatigued" are they talking about?
    Time to land and get back to real life, you lazy researchers. Rewards for being ill mainly exist in psychological books.

lycaena, EzzieD, chrisb and 14 others like this.
  4. Effi

Effi Established Member (Voting Rights)

chrisb, Joh, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:scream: :wtf: :banghead: :bawling: :walkingdead :yuck: :ill: :eek: :thumbsdown: :sick: :grumpy: :facepalm: :mad: :mad: :mad: Thought we had a barf emoji, but obviously not. Hope expressed well enough with my little collection! ;)

What is wrong with these people? They call us crazy, but they are the insanely crazy ones, and what makes me so mad is they get PAID to put out all this utter libelous rubbish about sick people. Grrrrr. :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

EzzieD, chrisb, Joh and 11 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I've had ME for 4 years and I've yet to receive my reward. When's it coming? If it carries on like this I'm considering giving up and pretending to have something else.

Why don't alleged ME sufferers just stop pretending more often by the way? Being ignored, belittled, abused, starved and locked up isn't much of a reward. Surely more ME sufferers should realise it's a mug's game and just stop.

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly!

I had this discussion with a psych during an Incapacity Benefit assessment (now ESA). I told her that I could absolutely understand the need to check I was telling the truth, but if I was going to lie, why pick the one disease that no one believes in and means that everyone views you with disgust?

9. TiredSam

My guess is that she raised one eyebrow and wrote "masochistic tendencies" on the form.

10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Loving this thread for the comments.

Not for the tripe aka psych "research". Shame that we need to know about all this. Anyone with time to review these papers for the rubbish they are?

11. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They're all 3 from Maastricht university (the Netherlands).

Their revolutionary research plan (I would be ashamed to write this down and hand it in to get approval, it sounds like a joke):

1. group:
    2. group:
    Did they have "research meetings" to discuss how disapproval is shown best and practiced slight frowning with mirrors? Would love to see the official handbook.

Solstice, ladycatlover, Trish and 7 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

I'd be interested to know what they considered to be "subtle social reward" too. I wouldn't find a psychologist leering at me ingratiatingly particularly rewarding, and if one frowned at me I'd just find it funny. How did they reward the patients who couldn't give a f*** what the psych thinks of them? Give them a chocolate biscuit?

These psychs are assuming that their approval or disapproval is of any concern whatsoever to the patient, which is an arrogant assumption. They are also overestimating their own acting skills. A psychologist with a pathalogical hatred of the patient trying to look friendly - what do they think their face looks like?

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

14. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh: This made me laugh, thanks. Because I liked it so much, here's another example of "a psychologist with a pathalogical hatred of the patient trying to look friendly".

"Well done. I'm happy that you're fatigued and I'm sure your parents must be very proud. Tell me more about it."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:

I don't think they understand the concept of self reflection.

Maybe being graced with their presence is the 'subtle social reward'?

Edited to add: You are our subtle social reward @TiredSam

Solstice, ladycatlover, Trish and 5 others like this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that them green with envy over all our lovely secondary illness benefits @Trish ?

:rofl::rofl:

17. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have only read the abstract but haven't they just demonstrated that subjective questionnaire responses can be influenced by researcher bias?

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Clueless
    What sort of reward is trying to work with this illness you can’t even manage a few hours a week after 2 years then you speak to a Dr who actually has a clue who says you’ve had it for 10 years or more all the time you’ve been flogging yourself at work working extra hard to compensate for being off sick more than everyone else. Any career prospects out of the window just running to keep up. Yes I’ve really got a lot of benefit from that. Bullocks

No doubt by going off on one I’ve proved I need psych help. Grrrhhh