1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is ME/CFS so neglected?

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Hoopoe, Dec 19, 2019.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME is so neglected because there was an interest in initially declaring it to be hysteria. Who would think it worth bothering with that?

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which comes from Statistics Canada, one of the most respected national statistics agency in the world. The number comes from census surveys sent to all households. Whatever it actually translates to in reality, it's hard for a government to ignore this when a respected agency confirms what small-scale surveys elsewhere have shown for decades.

So it wasn't from public health or medicine, which is pretty shameful to miss. Like having an independent surveyor showing you're literally not doing your job and not even close to bothering thinking about doing it. I don't know how this is perceived within Health Canada but in itself this is very damning dereliction of duty, to have to be shown you are not doing your work by an independent agency whose only purpose is collecting and analysing data.

spinoza577, ScottTriGuy and DokaGirl like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@rvallee Thank you for your comments on this. It is amazing how governments ignore these astonishing numbers. I know many people have written to their MPs and Health Ministers about this terrible issue for decades.

spinoza577, rvallee and ScottTriGuy like this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because they think it’s a form of Depressive illness and try treat it as such

DokaGirl, spinoza577, MEMarge and 2 others like this.