1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
Tags:
  1. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wilfred Owen - poet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Owen#War_service

Siegfried Sassoon - poet

Citation for military cross:
    Opposition to war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_Sassoon#War_opposition_and_Craiglockhart

chrisb, Woolie, Allele and 4 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The father (Asa Watkins) of a friend of mine was a conscientious objector during WWII. He was sent to "serve" at a terrible, abusive mental hospital where conditions were horrid, and went on to be an activist for mental health reform. (He was in an excellent documentary about this called "The Good War and Those Who Refused to Fight It.")

Other objectors were used as human guinea pigs for "science":

I think it is important (while recognising there are some legitimate uses for psychotherapy) to examine the history of psychiatry and how it has gone hand in hand with removal of agency in individuals who don't fit the ever-shifting "norm" and become "inconvenient" to someone or something. Like the reversal of terms like "functional" "medically unexplained" etc, the discipline itself is not what it claims to be on the surface.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    TiredSam, Hutan, chrisb and 15 others like this.
  4. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the paper related to this presentation "Different Shell, Same Shock".

I don't have the whole paper but that's quite explicitly calling PTSD pure hysteria in 2017.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Trish, andypants, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sure I read in the New Scientist a few years ago that US soldier's helmets were being redesigned or they were considering it, because they had found that concussive force causes small areas of brain damage. It makes perfect sense that bouncing the brain will cause physical tearing. They know that repeated concussion leads to long term damage and changes have been made to school sports.

It is beyond belief that in 2017 they think that the medicine of a hundred years before should have precedence over MRIs.

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently read (don't ask me how I came across it, it is a convoluted tale-it started with the Brenva Face of Mont Blanc) that the much-vaunted Rivers-he of Craiglockhart and Siegfried Sassoon fame- wrote, in private correspondence, that he thought he had never helped anyone. How different to modern times.

andypants likes this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I meant to add to my last post that this subject exposes the fallacies of Wessely. When he mentions "neurasthenia" he wishes it to be thought that he is referring to some original sense. By 1918 the (EDIT main) way in which the term was used was probably as a war psycho-neurosis.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  8. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are a myriad of plausible explanations but it is complicated that all PTSD sufferers are lumped together. It is not unlikely that the acute stress of war would cause physiological changes. That is very different from hysteria.

Mithriel and Amw66 like this.