1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wesselys Mental Health review could also replace Mental Capacity Act

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, petrichor, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only read the bit about BAME people so far. Yet again, he looks like he's trying to please everybody at once. He dances around the institutionalised racism that means BAME people get sectioned more readily, but is happy to namedrop psychosocial factors (including the historic trauma of the slave trade, FFS)!

He's such a smug git...

Amw66, NelliePledge, Barry and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...is-just-tinkering-around-the-edges-of-reform/

4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

When the government appoints Sir Simon to conduct an independent review into mental health legislation, it's a bit like Donald Trump appointing a doctor to conduct an independent review of his health. Guess what? The UK's mental health provision is astonishingly excellent. Extraordinary. It's not as if Sir Simon has a track record of being more than willing to whore his ill-gotten credentials to the highest bidder, or that everybody can't already predict what the review is going to say, who's going to decide what goes in it, and who's going to sign it for them.

5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, reminds me a lot of what is happening in Germany...Some "experts" are asked for their "opinion" about the mental health status, "experts" give a certain advice (e.g. professional keepers instead of a trusted person an incapacitated victim can name, laws that make it easier to force people into hospitalization and treatment...), government says they will change certain laws, mental health survivor organisations etc. complain, certain laws are changed.

I cannot believe anymore this happens per chance after the developments that are taking place also in UK.

Edit: UN humans rights commission is always ignored.

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the place of law? News from the second reading of the Mental Capacity Amendment Bill
    July 16, 2018 Written by Alex RK

Lord O’Shaughnessy

"A few other issues were raised. Many noble Lords referred to “unsound mind” being an unhelpful and, frankly, out-of-date phrase. I do not disagree."

"Obviously, the system depends on the quality and independence of the reviews, assessments and authorisations that take place; that issue was particularly raised by the noble Lord, Lord Touhig, and the noble Baroness, Lady Hollins. There were also questions asked by the noble Baronesses, Lady Tyler, Lady Murphy, Lady Jolly and Lady Thornton, about the capacity of those carrying out assessments in local authority care homes, the NHS and so on to do them properly and in a way compliant with the law. I agree with noble Lords that in the coming weeks we will need to set out much more clearly how that independence support and those assessments will be staffed and provided, making sure that there are sufficient resources and proper training."

"The words “nightmare” and “disaster” have been used to describe the current system, and that is why we need to act now, but clearly we need to act in such a way that we do not create another problem further down the line."

http://www.mentalcapacitylawandpoli...eading-of-the-mental-capacity-amendment-bill/

Inara, Woolie, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Original title: Prof Sir Simon Wessely was thanked by MP today, and thanks were repeated by Teresa May!

Presumably this will be in Hansard tomorrow.
    So he even gets in the middle of Brexit.

ETA: comment was not about Brexit but the Mental Health Act

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Link? Or was it TV/Radio? I'm guessing he's being congratulated for saving the NHS pots of money by denying people much needed medical help under the guise of helping get people back to work and off benefits. Etc.

9. Binkie4

Live TV- BBC news channel, 107 here.

ETA: about 12.35/40.

10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Follow the money...

Sean, Invisible Woman and Starlight like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes the MP who asked that PMQ was particularly smarmy and spoke in overblown terms about SW probably SW wrote the Q for him :sick:

As a politics geek I’m watching parliament channel quite a bit ATM. Just seen Carol M asking a question in the brexit debate about post study work visas for international students.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  12. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Parliament TV link not yet ready, because it is a continuous recording of today’s work in the Main Chamber.
    Presumably tomorrow, we will be able to edit the whole session down to just show this particular part (if we have the strength to watch!).

ladycatlover and Barry like this.
  13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

You mean Wessely and friends aren't claiming that CBT/GET will cure all the brexit issues as well?

ladycatlover, Amw66, Sean and 8 others like this.
  14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Transcript from Hansard (https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...D2D86-28E1-40CC-A4E5-4DAC25733B52/Engagements):
    I fear he is on his way to the House of Lords.

15. Binkie4

I found it a great shock to hear this said in the middle of (mostly) discussions about Brexit which like Nellie Pledge I have been watching intently.

It really does feel that he gets everywhere.
    Terrifying question. Might he have political ambitions? Please delete that if you think it might give him ideas.

16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I'd bet my life on it. Schmoozing and corrupting the House of Lords is the best way he has of protecting his 'legacy'.

Inara, rvallee, Robert 1973 and 5 others like this.
  17. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the occasions we lobbied our MP in HoC on May 12th Lady Mar came to meet with the ME demonstrators. Even then (must have been around 20 years ago?) when I suggested it would be Sir Simon soon, she said no, Lord Wessely. Very much afraid that time is now approaching. It will make life even more difficult for us, the only pro-ME person in the Lords is Lady Mar (I think), and Lord Winston is definitely against us from a speech he made in response to Lady Mar.

Robert 1973, EzzieD and Trish like this.
  18. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think Winston said what he was told to say in a briefing. If he ever looked at the issue again he may realize they made a fool of him and lied to him. But that would be his own fault for regurgitating their arguments and not going through the arguments himself.

19. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is not an excuse. It merely displays unsuitability for a place in the legislature.

But that would apply to many.

20. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What happened to Melvyn Bragg?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018