1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
Tags:
  1. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prof Sir Simon Wessely is taking part in a three-lecture event at Seale Hayne, Newton Abbott, Devon UK. One of the lectures is on FND...........Functional Neurological Disorder............the new label given to UK ME patients.

Can anyone attend? It is free.

http://www.discoverhannahs.org/whats-on/shell-shock-centenary-public-lectures

Shell Shock Centenary Public Lectures
    Friday 18 May 2018 7:00pm The Great Hall, Hannahs at Seale-Hayne

Three linked public lectures by world experts on Shell Shock and related disorders - including Functional Neurological Disorder [FND], a current and common and cause of severe disability. The location is the Grand Hall of Hannahs at Seale Hayne, just outside Newton Abbot, a multi-purpose site primarily supporting people with disabilities but with conference facilities set in a complex of grand Edwardian buildings. The site was originally an agricultural college but was commandeered as a large military hospital for the treatment and rehabilitation of the epidemic of shell shock that was peaking exactly 100 years ago in response to the horrors of industrialised warfare during World War One.

These lectures explain what shell shock is and how it relates to other military disorders such as PTSD and Gulf War Syndrome and similar disorders affecting the civilian population, namely Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) a highly misunderstood but common, and often severe, disorder at the interface of neurology and psychiatry.

Chair: Dr Tim Nicholson (Consultant Neuropsychiatrist and Senior Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry Psychology & Neuroscience, King's College London)
    20:20-21:00

“Functional Neurological Disorders (FND) and shell shock”
    Dr Jon Stone (Consultant Neurologist and Reader, Edinburgh University)

FREE - click below to register for your free place

Barry, FreeSarah, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  2. Sunshine3

@dave30th the weasel is out and dangerous

alktipping, MEMarge, Allele and 7 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

interesting to see the take on GWI, given the biomedical research that has been done in the interim...

4. Sunshine3

What a creep, he has zero remorse for all he has done and keeps driving it on.

5. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How does this work? A free lecture by SW hosted by a charity dedicated to supporting the education of children with disabilities? It sounds like a soirée not an educational experience (notwithstanding the obvious).

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let us take this opportunity to reflect upon the words of Col JFC Fuller DSO.

I think what one found out during the war was that we took in to start with a very high category of men and got them killed off and when towards the end of the war we wanted good fellows, then we got a very low category. I think it was very wicked in the war to see the number of highly skilled mechanics shoved into the trenches and shot down, on thousands. If the ordinary stupid man gets shot, it does not make very much difference.

Evidence reported in Report of the war office committee of enquiry into "shell-shock" from 1922 @p189

I think we are classified as stupid.

7. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

***** *** ******. Shell shock doesn't relate to GWS or FND or CFS which no doubt will be implied somewhere. Weasel still manipulating. I'd love to see these

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The first world war is long over, so it's difficult to say with certainty what shell shock was and wasn't. They will no doubt claim that shell shock was psychogenic and then draw parallels to whatever other illness they want to psychologize. Proof will be absent as usual and they will expect others to disprove their ideas.

Pechius, alktipping, Joh and 8 others like this.
  9. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One comfort is those poor shell shocked traumatised soldiers never had to have Wessely as their expert at the time. I wonder what GWS veterans feel, do we have any connections with them in the uk?

10. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that he has gone for Functional Neurological rather than the normal Functional Nervous. Sounds like trying to suggest it is more biological but then sliding back into the psychological.

alktipping, Hutan, Allele and 5 others like this.
  11. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FND is coded under 'conversion disorder', so it's just an outright lie. They trick you into compliance with a medically sounding diagnosis, while treating you as if you're hysterical.

12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This quotation from the report increases understanding of neurasthenia:

The following was the procedure adopted during the later stages of the war.

Early in 1917 all cases presenting symptoms of functional nervous disorder were sent to special hospitals as NYD. At these centres a differentiation was made by the Medical officer in charge as to whether the case was wounded or sick. The diagnosis was based on evidence supplied by the regimental medical or other responsible officer. The diagnosis of "shell shock (wound)" was made if there had been direct contact with the effect of explosions even although there was no visible external wound. All other cases of nervousness were classed as neurasthenia, hysteria, etc.

@p119 footnote.

This is why Wessely et al always seemed disingenuous when saying CFS was neurasthenia

13. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess it never occurred to them, as now, that the effects of a toxic nerve agent on the central nervous system might have led to its
    weakening and vulnerability to the very real horrific effects of war/trauma?

I think psychs exist primarily as an ideological propaganda barrier against all the man-made chemicals that are thrashing peoples' neuroimmunity/endocrine systems and protecting the entities that produce them from liability by denialism and shifting the blame onto the afflicted, who can then be viewed as entirely inferior people for not having the "bootstraps" to "take control" of their lives.

The whole thing is sickening and it's only getting worse. Soon entire classes of people will be treated outright as the "useless eaters" Kissinger so lovingly declared the elderly to be. Wait, actually, that's already happening. :walkingdead

Arnie Pye, Lidia, Keela Too and 12 others like this.
  14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When did this happen? Is it definitely being applied to us?

I didn’t know anything about FND until just now or if i did, i’ve forgot :ill:

Some of the symptoms are similar but the list doesn’t seem to cover PEM.

I’ve noticed on an FND website that CBT has only a 13% success rate and mainly only if the cause was thought to be psychological.

15. large donner

large donner Guest

16. adambeyoncelowe

FND is an umbrella term. It's variously used by doctors to avoid or remain ambiguous about a patient's symptoms. It's coded under 'conversion disorder' (i.e., it's psychosomatic). Anything without evidence of organic pathology can be labelled FND, and they've started shunting ME under that label.

ME was lumped into this mix with this bollocks by Wessely et al.: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...tic-syndrome/4110CF970D44700E5CD43F4BCEFDE360. They used the term 'functional somatic syndrome'.

17. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is not only toxic gas, it is also the amount of bumps to the head that no one ever thinks about. We are only just beginning to understand that bruising and small bleeds to the brain damages the way we think and act imagine how it must have been getting bombed out. What do the old footballs tell us about the damage and yet no connection is ever made.

Allele and Invisible Woman like this.
  18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah right, thanks for explaining, i know about the conversion disorder label, just thought they were using MUS these days. Too many labels

19. adambeyoncelowe

They're using MUS too. It's a complete mess!

20. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)