1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA Centers for Disease Control (CDC) news (including ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Calls) - next event 6 May 2024

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sasha, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, not much effort expended.

2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Part of my frustration with the CDC is that while they delay, major healthcare providers such as the Mayo Clinic and Kaiser Permanente (11 million members!) continue to recommend GET and CBT for ME/CFS as if nothing has changed.

ETA: A couple current Kaiser Permanente links. Caution: reading these may increase your blood pressure. :mad:
    This info comes from Healthwise, so you'll find identical on other provider sites and places such as WebMD.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Yessica, Inara, Barry and 2 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know that we do have good evidence on what is useful for recovery, so I think it's best for the CDC to be cautious in their recommendations.

I didn't find anything annoying about that document. Amazing. Maybe just a sign I'm extra tired and not thinking things through properly?! Even if so, I'm still going to let myself feel pleased about it for a while.

MEMarge and Barry like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.the-scientist.com/?arti...-Public-Health-Fund-Puts-CDC-Programs-at-Risk

From what I gather, the Prevention and Public Health Fund is the exclusive source of funding for the $5.4 million CDC ME/CFS program, so I wonder could it be affected by this.

Esther12, Mij, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  5. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Skycloud and Dolphin like this.
  7. Webdog

https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2018/04/evaluating-campaigns/

CDC blog post on "10 methods that can help you reduce costs and improve the efficacy of your communication or health marketing campaign."

Written by Fred Fridinger, who has published controversial work about CFS in the past. The campaigns talked about are intended to "promote positive behavior change", with a CDC Zika campaign being the success story.

If only the CDC could mount a campaign to change the behavior of doctors who encounter ME/CFS patients...
    Edit: There is a comments section on the blog.

Yessica, JohnM, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Webdog

CDC addresses the latest health crisis

When the CDC does more to raise public awareness for pool peeing than ME/CFS...

CDCpoolpee.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2022
    Hutan, chrisb, Melanie and 7 others like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it actually a disease tho? And if not is it anything to do with them? And if not why are they spending money allocated for dealing with disease on it? (Facebook ads aren't free - probably - I don't know much about it, but nothing else is....)

Hutan, MEMarge, chrisb and 3 others like this.
  10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps they often use swimming pools and are concerned at hygiene standards. Clearly they do not expect to suffer from ME.

11. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi,
    I don't think I have seen this posted elsewhere but please remove (or let me know how to do so) if appropriate:

May 10, 2018
    3:00 pm -
    4:00 pm Eastern Time

CDC ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication (SEC) Conference Call

participants can either call in using the following information:

Call number: 1-888-790-1949
    Participant Code: 2242976​

or join the meeting using the new webinar format by clicking the link, or copying and pasting it into your browser
    https://adobeconnect.cdc.gov/mefcfs/

If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before, it is recommended that you test the connection before the call date:

Meeting Agenda

3:00pm Welcome and SEC Call Overview

3:05pm Updates from CDC – Elizabeth Unger, Ph.D., M.D.
    Branch Chief, Chronic Viral Diseases Branch
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention​

3:15pm “ME/CFS: The Invisible Disease and its Educational Implications for Young People”

Faith Newton, Ed.D.
    Professor of Education
    Coordinator of Middle Level Education
    Delaware State University​

3:45pm Questions from MECFS SEC Call Mailbox for Guest Speaker and CDC

Disclaimer: Although the content of calls is directed to patients, caregivers, health care professionals, and other interested parties, CDC has no control over who participates on the conference call. Therefore please exercise discretion on sensitive content and material, as confidentiality during these calls cannot be guaranteed.

Please note that questions for the Guest Speakers and CDC can be submitted only via email at MECFSSEC@cdc.gov. This mailbox cannot respond to inquiries received and is in use only for the scheduled MECFS-SEC calls. If you would like to be added to the call list, please send an email to MECFSSEC@cdc.gov.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2018
    Andy, Inara, WillowJ and 8 others like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you are on the CDC email list but did not receive the notice pasted above, I think it'd be good to let CDC know that.
    MECFSSEC@cdc.gov
    (use this same email to ask to submit questions for this call and/or to be added to their email list)

Andy, WillowJ and Aroa like this.
  14. Webdog

Bump. Less than 20 hours away.

May 10, 2018
    3:00 pm -
    4:00 pm Eastern Time

Andy, Inara, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  15. Webdog

Note that the CDC "Information for Healthcare Providers" has been "Coming Soon" on the CDC website for almost a year. Apparently, the CDC and I have fundamentally different understandings about the meaning of "Coming Soon".

I think of "soon" as defined in the dictionary as "shortly" or "imminently".

However, over the past months, I've grown convinced that the CDC thinks of "coming soon" in more of a religious way. Similar to how "Jesus is coming soon", so also ME/CFS "New content is coming soon". For the CDC faithful, it's not long to wait. ;)

Hutan, Andy, Inara and 6 others like this.
  16. Webdog

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  17. Webdog

https://www.cdc.gov/Features/cfsawarenessday/index.html

18. Webdog

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would someone be willing (and have the energy) to summarize the Webinar a bit?

Hutan, Yessica and mango like this.
  20. Webdog

Unger talking about how the CDC is trying to determine the prevalence of ME/CFS via state health agencies.

Information for Healthcare Providers "should be available this summer".

Continuing medical education for doctors via Medscape and WebMD, based on IOM report. Bateman and Montoya participating. Should be available Nov 2018.

Common Data Elements project will standardize ME/CFS data collection.

FDA recognizes critical need for ME/CFS drug trials.

That's the end of Unger's talk. I'll stop here. But the meeting is being recorded.

(After Unger, the slideshow talk is about ME/CFS in schoolchildren, including symptom management and working with schools for accomodation)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Hutan, Skycloud, Johanna WJ and 8 others like this.