1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: Airline Passengers with Disabilities Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by ahimsa, Jul 9, 2022.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure whether this document has any "teeth" (a way to enforce it) but I thought this might be helpful for disabled folks in the USA who are able to travel.

The US Department of Transportation has just posted the first ever Airline Passengers with Disabilities Bill of Rights:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/disabilitybillofrights
    The website has a short video in addition to the text.

2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the answer is that this new "bill of rights" does not announce any new laws. It's just a framework to help passengers understand the laws that already exist under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).

From the website:

"The Bill of Rights does not expand or restrict the rights of air travelers with disabilities. Rather, it provides a convenient summary of existing law. Because the explanations in this document may not be as precise as the regulations themselves, the explanations link to the actual regulatory text for your reference."