1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

US: A Federal Funding Update for ME/CFS - July 8 2019

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Emily Taylor, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Emily Taylor

Emily Taylor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

Did we win yet? A Federal Funding Update for ME/CFS

What you Need to Know:
    • The House approved a budget with $5.4m for ME/CFS, the first time in recent memory the program was funded by the House and not eliminated
    • The funding increase requested by ME/CFS Advocacy Day was not included.
    • Yet, ME/CFS was added to the “Combat Readiness Program” with $10 million of potential grant funding
    • Yet, adds $2 billion for NIH and nearly $1 billion to CDC – potential new resources for ME/CFS
    • The House included excellent committee report language directing agencies to act on ME/CFS
    • The Senate is still debating other budget issues and has not addressed our budget yet
    • There is still time! Contact your Senate offices today to support a funding increase for ME/CFS
    • Take your Advocacy to the next level with our easy step-by-step ADVOCACY GUIDE
    On July 1st, the U.S. House of Representatives approved a package of four appropriations bills. This package included $41.1 billion for the National Institutes of Health (a $2 billion increase), $8.3 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (a $938 million increase), and $7.6 billion for the Health Resources and Services Administration ($485 million increase).

As part of ME/CFS Advocacy Day, we requested that ME/CFS be added to the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program. The House decided to eliminate this program, but instead added ME/CFS into the “Combat Readiness” research program with $10 million of potential grant funding for ME/CFS researchers.

Also in the package, Committee Report Language (directions from Congress to Federal agencies) reflected the requests that Solve ME made earlier this year. This includes:
    • A call for NIH to initiate new ME/CFS disease specific funding announcements
    • Encouragement to the NIH to create an initiative to reach consensus on the ME/CFS
    • case definition
    • Recommendations that the NIH create mechanisms to incentivize researchers to enter the field of ME/CFS
    • Concern to HHS about the disbanding of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee (CFSAC)
    • Calls on HHS to submit a plan within 90 days to address the crisis in clinical care and accelerating drug development for ME/CFS
    The U.S. House of Representatives has completed 9 of the 12 appropriations bills for FY 2020. The passed appropriations bills now await action by the Senate before the end of the fiscal year on September 30, 2019.

[​IMG]

Now is the Time to Act! Tell Your Senator to “SUPPORT A FUNDING INCREASE FOR ME/CFS” Today!

Thanks to your hard work during ME/CFS Advocacy Week, the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee is currently considering our request to increase federal ME/CFS funding to $9.9m. Ask your Senator to support this request today.

Our champion, Senator Markey, led two requests with 18 other Senators from both parties. These requests, if approved, can increase funding for ME/CFS research and education!

1) Requesting $9.9 million for ME/CFS programs at the CDC (Labor-HHS committee)
    2) Adding ME/CFS to the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program (Defense committee)
    Please contact your Senators TODAY and ask them to support these efforts.

[​IMG]

Experienced Advocates! Check out the Advocacy Action Guide to take your advocacy to the next level.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The committee report language sounds encouraging. It's still small steps relative to the need but as long as we still have to fight for the most basic recognition of existing at all, anything is better than the disastrous status quo.

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Emily Taylor, for your, and all others' hard work in getting this far!

Increased NIH and CDC funding for ME, of course benefits pwME in other countries too.

Cheers!

4. Emily Taylor

Emily Taylor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @DokaGirl - we're all in this together!

petrichor, Yessica, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.