1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Updated ME/CFS prevalence estimates reflecting post-COVID increases and associated economic costs and funding implications, 2022, Mirin, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ABSTRACT

In this article, we update our earlier analyses of myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) economic impact and its National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding versus disease burden, taking into account the anticipated new cases of ME/CFS resulting from COVID-19.

Prior to the COVID pandemic, we estimated a United States ME/CFS prevalence of 1.5 million and an annual economic impact of $36–51 billion. Now, due to COVID and its resulting post-acute sequalae, we estimate total ME/CFS prevalence could rise to between five and nine million.

This would incur an annual U.S. economic impact of $149 to $362 billion in medical expenses and lost income, exclusive of other costs, such as disability benefits, social services, and lost wages of caretakers.

NIH funding for ME/CFS research would need to expand from the current amount of $15 million per year to approximately $472–$600 million annually, up to a 40-fold increase, to be commensurate with that of similarly burdensome diseases.

Open access: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2022.2062169

sebaaa, Michelle, ahimsa and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Based on earlier research, we estimate the adult prevalence to be 0.0042 times the adult population [13], and the pediatric (ages 5–17) prevalence (PC) 0.0075 times the pediatric population in that age range [14]."

Just using the adult prevalence, and using the figure that Google gives me for the UK population of 2019, gives a pre-Covid UK patient population estimate of 280,728.

sebaaa, Michelle, janice and 7 others like this.
  3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Two Reports on the Financial Burden of Long Covid and Its Impact on ME/CFS Prevalence

"On April 11th, Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior, the journal of the International Association of CFS/ME, published an article called “Updated ME/CFS prevalence estimates reflecting post-COVID increases and associated economic costs and funding implications.” The senior author, Leonard Jason, is a psychology professor at DePaul University and an author or co-author of many, many dozens of articles about the illness. (Perhaps hundreds; I haven’t counted.) His co-authors, Arthur Mirin and Mary Dimmock, are independent researchers and patient advocates."

https://www.virology.ws/2022/04/20/...f-long-covid-and-impact-on-me-cfs-prevalence/

Mithriel, Ariel, Trish and 1 other person like this.