1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming book: CLASSIC PACING - For a better life with ME

Discussion in 'Monitoring and pacing' started by Kalliope, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a self help book on pacing that has been doing very well in Norway and has just been printed in its 2. edition.

From next month it will be available also in English!

The author is Ingebjørg Midsem Dahl who suffers from ME herself.

Website with presentation of book

Blurb from dr. Nigel Speight:
    "Overall I am sure that this book will prove very helpful for many ME sufferers"

ETA: It is now in its 4. edition, not 2.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Tia, mango, ladycatlover and 21 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Do you know whether the book includes anything on step and heart rate monitoring?

3. Kalliope

I couldn't see that mentioned specifically in the table of contents,

4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Amazon page for this book with access to the content page and some more pages is

5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ackkkkkk. Not buying a book on pacing. Will make a donation for research instead.

Alton, ladycatlover, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  6. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For a long time patient, the book probably isn't that helpful. But it's a book I would have found tremendoulsy helpful starting out on this journey. When I was trying to make sense of my own limits and a body that didn't respond in a way I was used to. And could be really helpful for caregivers, familiy to take a peak at as well.

It's like a practical guide to how to adapt to your new life. Forms to follow your own day-to-day development and find your own pattern between different sorts of acticvty/stimuli and PEM. Information about commom pitfalls and areas to concider, questions that challenges you to think through habits etc.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree, this book would be very helpful for new patients. Rest before you get tired. Learning how to manage and conserve energy can be the single most empowering 'treatment' for ME patients. I hope this book also includes conserving mental energy. It takes discipline, but once you've shifted gear it becomes second nature.

Alton, ladycatlover, Sarah94 and 12 others like this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read it, but from what I can tell from various FB groups many Norwegian PwME think very highly of it. I didn't buy it for the same reasons mentioned above, I only discovered it after I had already learned about and practiced pacing for a while. I would probably recommend it to any newly diagnosed patient though, together with a NMEA membership.

Good point about it being potentially useful for carers and loved ones.

9. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure how it's covered in the the chapters, as I've only skimmed through. But the forms and scales does separate mental og physical capacity - one of the few places I've seen where it's not assumed the two follow the same path.

10. Kalliope

Review from Book Depository:

Classic Pacing for a Better Life with ME
    Classic Pacing for a Better Life with ME is a self-help book which explains pacing and how it can be applied to daily life. Although aimed at patients, the book can also be of interest to professionals.

11. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just bought a copy of this. Am having a quick skim read before a proper in depth study but so far it has a wealth of information and seems to be answering a lot of the questions I have about pacing. I should also point out it is A4 and 1/2" thick!!

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really good that such a book exists. I suspect there is a real skill to good pacing, which will come naturally to some and less so for others. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some long time sufferers who never properly got the hang of good pacing, especially if dominated by poor medical guidance, and maybe also misguided help from those close to them. And as others have said, a good sanity check for all manner of medical professionals.

13. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those who don't do/like pacing; what management strategy - if any - do you apply? Genuinely curious as to how different people manage their condition.

ladycatlover likes this.
  14. Kalliope