1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Isle of Man ME/CFS and Long Covid services (Manx, ME Support IOM)

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Andy, Nov 26, 2017.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Video transcript:
    Announcer: ME Support (IOM) was established in 1988 by Barbara and Robin Proctor, parents of Ean Proctor, after their horrific experience on the Isle of Man.
    [Video from Frontline, Channel 4]
    Interviewer: At 12, Ean got ME and became paralyzed and mute. But because no abnormality showed on his tests, his doctors dismissed him as school phobic.

Ean: There was a knock at the door at it was the GP. He had two social workers with him and they were going to take me away to a place of safety.
    The female social worker told me that they would take me away because my parents were letting me die.

Interviewer:
    How were you treated when you got into hospital?

Ean:
    They used to race down the corridor with me in the wheelchair and suddenly stop to see if I'd react or anything. They even took me swimming and let me go under the water one time.

Interviewer:
    The theory was that he was faking his paralysis and would surely swim.

Ean:
    They let me go in the deep end and I was paralyzed, I couldn't speak, and I was scared, I didn't know what was going to happen to me. I didn't know if they were going to bring me back up or not. They also put me on a ghost train. I think the idea of that was to scare me into moving. I was totally distraught. I was crying all the time. I am very bitter about the way I was treated. Most of the doctors didn't really want to understand what the illness was about. They didn't really care how I was treated, they just wanted me to get better instantly.

Announcer:
    Heavy scrutiny inevitably followed, both on our island and across the water in the Palace of Westminster. For decades, this spotlight failed to translate into meaningful support for local families who were left to struggle on alone. Hope was offered in 2014, when the then Health Minister, and Directors of the DHSC agreed that an ME service was required. Progress was made with the appointment of a GP ME champion and a steering team to coordinate a new project.

But progress stalled and the role of GP ME champion was discontinued in 2015 due to a lack of funding and a lack of logistical support. In 2019, Craig Morris, Vice President of our charity, started an online petition to demonstrate public support for a new service. Craig and I shared a series of videos on social media documenting our personal experiences of the condition to promote the petition.

Chuck Morris:
    I think that the chances of recovery are much better if you get the right advice in the first six months.

Announcer:
    And the response was...moving. We received over two and a half thousand signatures to the petition on our small island. This was hard to ignore, and by October 2019, former Health Minister David Ashford had promised immediate improvements and a full service by April 2020.

David Ashford:
    This has been talked about for nine years now, and it's enough of talking about it. It's time to do it. And my challenge as Minister is to make sure that they actually start seeing change on the ground.

Chuck Morris:
    This deadline was missed. And the consequences would be grave.

Boris Johnson:
    From this evening, I must give the British people a very simple instruction. You must stay at home.

Chuck Morris:
    People with ME feared that the Covid outbreak in March 2020 would lead to an avalanche of ME cases. Sadly, these fears have been realized. By late summer of 2020, DHSC was still struggling to make progress and with the Island temporarily Covid free, we took the opportunity to set out what was required, the simple steps to implements an ME service that would benefit those with ME, and also those from the long Covid community. Regrettably, and not for the first time, the DHSC was unable to translate patient feedback and expertise into results. In May 2021, we resorted to an intense fortnight of advocacy.

And then, finally, after more than 30 years, the tide started to turn. Regular discussions between Manx Care and ME Support (IOM) have continued since then and we have worked to co-produce a new service. There was a collaborative approach behind the scenes, and in addition, the local media generated some helpful reminders of our cause. This brings us to the present day, and our co-prouduction efforts, along side Manx Care, have culminated in the opening of a new combined ME/CFS and long Covid service. The new team is passionate and enthusiastic and the new service is based on the latest guidance. It's important to remember that the new service will not cure patients. However, it's a huge step in the right direction, and one that has been 34 years in the making.

MeSci, Trish, Adam pwme and 2 others like this.
  2. RedFox

I'm very, very proud for the people of the Island of Man working together for so long to open this service. I'm proud that they created a clinic that has biomedical doctors improving care by listening to patient experience, and that recognizes the heavy overlap between ME and LC by merging them. They deserve praise for their leadership--they created a top-notch clinic, not in a big city like London or Manchester, but on a small island with a population barely larger than Youngstown, Ohio.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    bobbler, MeSci, Lindberg and 5 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know the current service has biomedical doctors or indeed many hours allocated for any sort of qualified doctors?

This relates to the past:
    I think last time I heard it was headed by a psychologist?

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The Isle of Man is tiny. Population 86 thousand, 14 GP group practices, 2 hospitals, and tertiary services on mainland UK. So it's the equivalent to a smallish town. I'm pleased for them they have some sort of ME service, but can't imagine it will be more than one or 2 part time therapists and a doctor who takes an interest in ME to do the diagnosis as a small part of their job.

Ariel, alktipping, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  5. RedFox

Was I wrong to assume? It sounds like they know how to take care of PwME. But maybe their role is smaller than I thought? I'm sorry for getting it wrong.

6. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Adam pwme

8. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Adam pwme - thank you for all your videos so much appreciated. Lets me see the relevant bits easily and share with family and friends. It’s a hugely valuable resource. I’m in the North West and missed this last night.

Hutan, Wonko, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Will it be following the NICE Guidelines?

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Thanks Fizz Lou that's good to hear.

11. Adam pwme

I imagine so with the close patient involvement.

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, RedFox, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  13. Adam pwme

14. Adam pwme

15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

BBC - Long Covid support offers light at the end of the tunnel, patients says

article

quotes:

Debbie Dixon from Foxdale first contracted the virus in 2022 and said she "just never felt well after that".

But she said support from Manx Care's dedicated services had given her hope she would make a full recovery.

The services, which are also offered to those with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), were rolled out a year ago.

Manx Care estimates more than 1,000 people on the island have long Covid and about 350 people have CFS, also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).

"Once I got access and had a one-to-one with a professional, it's almost validation you've been sick," she said.

"They teach you how to slowly exercise and rest, they teach you that you need to stop in between things."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt, bobbler and Trish like this.
  16. Kalliope

Is this really about pacing or GET?

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the new Isle of Man service was set up with patient input and ME Association approves of it, so presumably it's pacing.

Peter Trewhitt and Kalliope like this.
  18. Kalliope

that's great to hear!

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's good. I was there like six or seven years ago--can't remember now--and met with various folks.

alktipping, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.