1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: REGISTER AS A VULNERABLE PERSON TO GET CORONAVIRUS SUPPORT

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hellytheelephant, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read somewhere that this list is going to be updated once a week with additional names that get picked up via GP records (I think it said every Monday - they are expecting another 600,000 or so). So it would still be worth signing up to the list if you haven't already as presumably they will send an updated list of those who ticked they needed help to supermarkets each week (I'm just guessing here, but it would be odd if they didn't).

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My problem is, I'm incapable of lying to official bodies! I don't want to be fined or otherwise sanctioned for lying. I simply don't have any of the listed conditions. And my doctor would have to tell them so if they check. Who knows whether there will end up being a blacklist of people who tried to circumvent the system sent to supermarkets to tell them not to give us priority.

I'm hoping I'll get on the Waitrose list on the grounds of age. And if not, I'll write to customer services and plead need.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Mithriel, MEMarge, Forestvon and 6 others like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Iceland allows you self-declare as vulnerable. You could try that?

I doubt there would be fines or sanctions, however. They probably haven't got the resources to police it in that way. Much simpler for 'computer says no'.

MEMarge, JaneL, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm with you @Trish
    In the beginning it seems the form was more vague, but now they have tightened things up i'm not happy declaring myself as having one of the listed conditions if I haven't. Apart from anything else I don't ever want my GP (new who doesn't yet know me very well but with whom I had 2 ok appointments for benefits) to start thinking I am a hypochondriac or somebody who either thinks of myself as, or wants to be seen as, someone with one of the listed conditions (for the extremely vulnerable list - not for increased risk list which is what neurological conditions comes under). With the BPS msg so strongly out there, & with no other conditions than ME I just don't want to risk it.

My pastor said yesterday that whilever he is well he quite happy go shopping for me, so if I cant get a slot I will ask him. I'm not happy about it because he's in his 60s with high BP, but I cant go for myself so....

5. Simbindi

Yes. This is also my concern with using the local village network. Most of the locals offering help will be the 'healthy active' but retired people. I want to minimise their exposure too!

JaneL, ladycatlover, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  6. Simbindi

I have just received this email from Asda (I think I set up an account with them when I first explored moving most of my shopping - barring my monthly in store shop/prescription collection with Sainsburys - to online shopping):

7. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My update:i think the form has been tightened up since i filled it in. i have not received a letter from the government saying i am in a most vulnerable group...but i got a text the other day saying as i did not fulfil the criteria they would check my NHS records ( which i had given permission for).

Today i received an email from Asda saying that i am being considered vulnerable and can have a priority shopping delivery. I think it would be worth registering if you can. I don't imagine there would be manpower to get back to folk who ticked a box that doesn't apply to you @Trish you should definately be a priority.

In the interests of transparency, i have a few chronic conditions including moderately bad asthma.

8. meg22

meg22 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the same email from ASDA yesterday as well although I don't use them much. I checked this morning and there are quite a few available slots in my area towards the end of next week. It's also giving me free delivery!

9. adambeyoncelowe

I got the Asda email too.

10. Simbindi

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the list's too big and whilst people have been told that GPs will be adding at least 600,000 more people to it the actual instructions GPs have received are focussed on taking people off the list.

Helpful.

12. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would appear to have been put on the government’s extremely vulnerable list, presumably because of the recent correspondence I had with my GP about this. I have received what I assume is the standard NHS shielding letter. It came from my GP and says

Here’s the full letter:

So it’s still possible to be recognised as extremely vulnerable without having any of the listed conditions (I don’t) and with a diagnosis of ME/CFS (that’s the only condition I have aside from neutropenia but I doubt whether the neutropenia had much influence over the decision).

It’s definitely worth writing to your GP even if you don’t have any of the listed conditions but you think you should be on the list.

13. Simbindi

The response you get will depend on your GP. My practice has been very bad in this regard despite me having severe asthma. I've been trying to get them to ensure I get a letter with my own name and address on it, because the national NHS trawl seems to have directed my shielding letter to my daughter as my named carer - confirmed to be the case by her GP practice. She doesn't live with me but named herself as my 'carer' so she could make phone calls on my behalf and communicate with my doctor due to my autism. The response I received has been very upsetting, which is why I plan to make a formal complaint in the future.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    ladycatlover, MeSci, meg22 and 5 others like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was just released by the Scottish Government

"A new helpline has also been set up to support people who are vulnerable but not in one of the shielded groups.
    Opening on Tuesday, it is intended for those who are elderly, pregnant, in need of mental health support or in receipt of the flu jab.
    The number is 0800 111 4000."

15. Simbindi

This morning I finally got a 'shielding' letter in my own name, NHS number, and address.

Bizarrely, on Tuesday I got a call from the NHS asking for my daughter, and saying she should register on the website as this was 'really important'. The caller started to speak into my answer machine so I picked up the phone, something I very rarely do unless it's family. I had a fruitless conversation trying to explain that it was me who should be shielding not my healthy young daughter, who doesn't even live here. She was confused and unable to help as she 'only had a script to follow'.

My daughter shouldn't have my landline number on her medical records, the only time she has given this was a few years ago when she was having a minor day patient operation, but it was given to the hospital as her 'next of kin' only. So she's pretty angry at all the unauthorised 'data-sharing' that the NHS/government seems to be doing.

Yesterday she checked with her GP to confirm my number isn't on her records (it isn't) and then phoned my GP, who confirmed I was now showing on their system as being in the shielded group. Today I miraculously have the shielding letter from them (they haven't been responding to my emails, but seem to have responded to a phone call).

I'm waiting to see now if any practical help actually materialises. I don't need it now that I'm sorted with the supermarkets, but I want to see what my council actually does (or doesn't do) because they have been particularly bad in terms of social care and supporting the most vulnerable residents.

16. Simbindi

Invisible Woman and JaneL like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread

Supermarkets face mass legal action over discrimination

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...s-face-mass-legal-action-over-discrimination/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2020
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I would have thought the government would be the appropriate target, not the supermarkets.

JemPD, Invisible Woman, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found a couple of £4 slots at my usual delivering supermarket - ASDA - a couple of days ago, and took advantage. I don't usually pay that much for delivery, but their item prices are low. Have been having to trudge about half a mile to the Co-op, but hopefully that's ended. My organic veg place (Riverford) are delivering again too. A neighbour got me some gluten-free rolls from Tesco recently too.

Some deliveries are taking a long time to come.

20. adambeyoncelowe

Good luck with it! I know it's a stress.

ladycatlover, MeSci, Ebb Tide and 3 others like this.