1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: REGISTER AS A VULNERABLE PERSON TO GET CORONAVIRUS SUPPORT

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hellytheelephant, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

methodology
    https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list

go to
    https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/...-opcs-4-code-list-and-snomed-ct-flu-mappings-

then icd10 code list
    https://digital.nhs.uk/binaries/con...n-methodology/icd-10-and-opcs-4-code-lis.xlsx

we're not there (G93), but neither is MS(G35)

eta: just thought, what if you've opted out of NHS databases?

2. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used the extremely vulnerable gov form to leave feedback that their conditions are flawed because I dont qualify.

I have ME CFIDS due to EBV and subsequent infection so it is not genetic and also I only have mild asthma, though it was severe for 10 years 34 years ago after ME CFIDS onset and my condition fluctuates like nobody's business so I am at risk even if the medication I have now is only ventolin, so I dont qualify.

While it is a rare disease I dont honestly know if my condition increases the risk or severity of infection, but once infected I get recurring viruses which means I am a potential super spreader. So their definitions miss me out and I dont think they should.

If I get SARS-CoV-2 I will not be able to visit any of my elderly relatives until they have been vaccinated or have had it themselves because I will be shedding virus for years, possibly for the rest of my life. Everyone I come into contact with will be at risk of catching SARS-CoV-2. I have been having recurring HSV2 for 34 years 8-12 times a year which is still ongoing, interspersed with EBV like episodes plus a suspected recurring enterovirus causing Bornholm syndrome episodes and suspected H1N1 swine flu lasted about 8 years, recurring whenever I got even a bit cold.

Last but not least I am ill with ME all the time and get PEM very easily and get PIP for mobility and care ... but I dont qualify.

Waitrose for example are using the list to inform their home delivery for vulnerable only policy. So if the gov wont recognise me I cant get a delivery, if I cant get a delivery I have to go in to the shop and risk catching it, plus PEM of course and risk becoming a superspreader, which noone wants only they dont believe what I have even exists.

All I can say is ignorance is no defence against reality.

JaneL, ladycatlover, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi,

Even if you are unable to register for support as the “extremely vulnerable” group; I have found out that there are still resources at local councils (depending on the council), where they provide services for others experiencing hardship. It is worth checking your local council.

My council for example says:

Food stops
    The council runs three food stops with community partners in (...)

If you're eligible, you can get £20 worth of fresh food and other groceries for £3.50 per week.

Food vouchers
    You may be eligible for food vouchers for Tesco, Sainsbury's Morrison's and Asda. Contact the Discretionary Support Team:

Paying for gas and electricity

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak.

If you think you cannot afford to pay for extra gas or electricity used because you are having to self-isolate at home, support will be available through your energy supplier. Your supplier must take into account how much you can afford, and will explain your options. No credit meters will be disconnected during the outbreak.

Customers with prepayment meters who are self-isolating or unable to leave their home to top up their meter should contact their supplier immediately to discuss options. These may include:

• someone being sent to top up your prepayment card or token/key
    • having funds added to your meter credit
    • having a preloaded gas or electricity card sent to you in the post
    Find out more about the emergency energy package

Emergency living expenses for gas and/or electric by key card
    We are able to support residents who pay their gas and electricity via a key card.

We will need your mobile number, or alternatively a trusted friend, family or neighbour mobile number. Then you can go to your local newsagents who display the pay point sign to top up.

Financial resources to support vulnerable residents
    We are expecting additional financial resources to support vulnerable residents from the government. We will provide further information as soon as it is available. “

You can type into google “(name of your council) council extremely vulnerable coronavirus” and it will come up with links to the page with help and information (even for those not on the extremely vulnerable list).

JaneL, Wits_End, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That all sounds good, @lunarainbows, but it sounds like it's for those experiencing financial hardship, not those with problems of access to food delivery.

5. lunarainbows

Oh yes. Hopefully it is still helpful for some people though.

The prepayment meters etc could be helpful to people here though regardless of financial issues. (Getting company to help pay the prepayment meter if they can’t get out of the house etc). The first line is about food stops - those may help if you cannot get food deliveries, but I don’t know how dependent that is on financial hardship.

Another option is in the COVID 19 mutual aid groups, the local groups often have info on green grocers / local shops that are running deliveries. My local one has some (fruit & veg are what I’ve seen).

JaneL, Wits_End, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  6. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

A friend has received the letter instructing them to isolate for twelve weeks due to lupus. lt instructs that the still working partner who is in a low risk occupation has to leave their shoes at the door outside, strip in the hall and directly shower preferably in a different bathroom. They should sleep apart and interestingly have separate cutlery which is to be washed separately. I assume this would also apply to laundry.

They said no more, but I thought this may provide some insight for those who will not get the letter but have a working partner or carer coming into the house.

I do wonder what the care agency instruction would be regarding the stripping and sleeping?

JaneL, MeSci, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be worth writing (email if possible) to your GP to highlight your concerns. They are being given some discretion, especially if you have a rare disease that could easily have been missed in the national data trawl.

JaneL, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  8. Trish

JaneL, NelliePledge and ladycatlover like this.
  9. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes that is a good idea, I will try phoning them on Monday and find out what is going on.

Though I don't actually want any extra visitors or food, just want to be able to get my supermarket delivery without being squeezed out of the picture by the sudden huge demand for deliveries from everyone who is trying to obey the govt edict to isolate.

JoanneS, JaneL, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this is exactly my predicament

JoanneS, JaneL, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  11. Trish

And mine. I like the idea of contacting the GP. I'll email mine, I think.

12. Simbindi

Yes. All I want is access to supermarket online delivery slots myself! I really don't want people I know (i.e. neighbours) learning about my autism. I'm less concerned about being on a more impersonal government list that will tell my supermarket I should be considered as vulnerable.

JaneL, MeSci, Invisible Woman and 7 others like this.
  13. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I don’t want people I know ie neighbours learning about my ME. I have an immature girl on my floor who pops out multiple times a day, has multiple various visitors, including friends round to party at weekends which hasn’t stopped. Her sensible (ish) partner works away.

I have a drug dealer below me, who is currently laying low.

The other guy on his floor is the one who was blocking my scooter in downstairs for the whole of 2019 until I accepted defeat and sold it.

which leaves only brand new neighbours on the ground floor. Who seem friendly enough; but they all do to begin with.

Not a single one of them is following government rules and popping in and out multiple times a day.

JaneL, MeSci, Invisible Woman and 8 others like this.
  14. Simbindi

I don't want that either, but whereas I could (possibly) hide the actual medical cause of being housebound from neighbours (by not divulging this and referring only to having neurological/immunological problems) I cannot hide my autistic communication difficulties in any interactions. Before my ME was severe I was able to do this to a very limited extent for a very limited time, but that took immense cognitive effort. I have suffered severe bullying from my previous next door neighbours that went on for years and required police intervention so I feel very vulnerable in this regard.

I can't imagine how awful it is to live in a flat though. I do empathise with your living conditions.

JoanneS, JaneL, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

@Hell..hath..no..fury...
    I can empathise with the horrible problems with living in flats if you’re unlucky enough to get weird neighbours.

Our neighbour in the flat (right next door to us), is “wanted by the police”. It’s been 4 years and the police still haven’t caught him. Other people say they’ve seen him come in and out of the flat, and he makes lots of noise when he’s in there, and takes furniture out, and then he goes away again. The police and his parents only then turn up the next day, when he’s long gone. And they knock loudly on our door, making me panic; and insist on coming onto our balcony so they can then get onto his balcony through ours and let themselves into his flat to investigate if he’s there. This carries on for months at a time before it goes quiet again, and then it starts up again. For 4 years! (Although I haven’t heard anything in the last 4 months.. maybe they’ve caught him now). My boyfriend swears he’s seen him smoking or asking people to sell him weed at the tram stop during this time, so I don’t know why it’s been so hard to catch him.

meg22, JaneL, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  16. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Report her to the police. They have power to stop this now. Especially if she has a party at weekend. Gawd, some idiots really do think they are above the law.

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's truly horrible. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. :hug:

JaneL, MeSci, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Unfortunately my life is difficult enough, without making an enemy of the people on my floor when I live alone.

They are immature, but we currently have no animosity between us. I need to keep it that way over the coming months.

being known as a grass in a building that contains a drug dealer isn’t productive for survival :muted: so better to keep mouth shut.

MEMarge, JaneL, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  19. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep me too. your flat and @Hell..hath..no..fury... sounds like mine too. Drug dealer next door - who is laying low - all the frequent , very short visits lessened - its so much quieter ! and have a young guy with severe mental health problems and alcohol abuse issues below who is constantly going in and out.

MEMarge, meg22, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds sensible. Besides, if she gets it, that's punishment enough.

MEMarge, JaneL, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.