1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK House of Lords/ House of Commons Questions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Tom Kindlon

3. Tom Kindlon

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could have spared some trouble and just answered "whatever, don't care" to every question.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ministers are far too important to be held accountable for the way public sector organisations are run and put into practice the government policies come up with by - err Ministers ;). It’s all the fault of the bureaucrats.

6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Qualitative research with applicants, employers and delivery staff’, which included a case study for an applicant with ME.

The individual in question returned to employment in a call centre role after 10 years off due to ill-health. Through Access to Work, they received a suitable chair and keyboard, which greatly reduced the joint pain they had been experiencing and enabled them to stay in the new role."

I wonder when that was, and whether they are still working?

7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Call centre work typically involves long shifts...interesting that it only seemed to be the pain that was stopping them from working. No insult to people suffering pain. I would have thought that the cognitive processing in ME would also cause severe problems.

Snow Leopard, chrisb, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  8. rvallee

This is entirely "work will set you free" mentality. It's telling people to be content with breadcrumbs despite being declared "fully healthy" by some jackasses who pretend it's completely normal to have the same ability to function as an octogenarian all throughout your 20's.

I was a programmer. I was freaking good at it. I don't feel any hesitation it trumpeting all my damn horns about it, I was a very talented software developer. I should be working in the frontlines of the AI revolution. I have been waiting so long for this and have to sit on the sidelines while history I should be making is being made. I specifically tailored my experience and talents around this kind of work and some jackasses out there are saying I should be content with having a suitable chair and keyboard combo tailor-made to type some keys.

I'm really not feeling the damn "secondary benefits" and "illness identity" right now. No matter how many major jackasses may be insisting this is what is happening with me, I guess I'm just not actually into it. What a load of malarkey wrapped in larded bollocks.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://assets.publishing.service.g...h-applicants-employers-and-delivery-staff.pdf

Interesting that this example is cited under Mental Wellbeing

very selective in their quoting; note also 'reduces me having to claim benefits' implying that they are still claiming. Also 'it also helps my employer' ?? howso?

rvallee, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  10. rvallee

This almost reads like a parody of human behavior. Very infantilizing. I can almost hear the sing-songy praise.

11. NelliePledge

Matt Hancock has kept his role as Health Secretary

Nicky Morgan is back in the Cabinet so won’t be able to be involved in backbench group working on ME anymore. Although obviously having someone who is fairly well informed about ME in the Cabinet will be useful if she is prepared to raise the issues informally with Hancock and his team.

12. Sly Saint

Anne Main Conservative, St Albans
    To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps her Department is taking to tailor medical assessments for benefits to take account of the needs of ME sufferers.

Answer:

Hutan, ladycatlover and TiredSam like this.
  13. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So who's the "expert clinician"? From what I've seen of the learning modules in the past they aren't fit for purpose. Though I admit I haven't looked for more recent ones - suspect if there are more recent ones they prob won't be any better. Please let me know if they are!

14. Sly Saint

Faisal Rashid Labour, Warrington South
    To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps he is taking to (a) update GP guidance and (b) increase GP awareness of the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.

Caroline Dinenage Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)
    General practice is where most patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) are likely to be managed, and the condition is identified as a key area of clinical knowledge in the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) Applied Knowledge Test (AKT) content guide. The AKT is a summative assessment of the knowledge base that underpins general practice in the United Kingdom within the context of the National Health Service and is a key part of GPs’ qualifying exams.

In 2007, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) published the clinical guideline, ‘Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy): Diagnosis and management of CFS/ME in adults and children. This sets out best practice in the diagnosis, treatment, care and support of people with the condition.

Rubbish answer.

15. Sly Saint

same old same old :bored:

but at least the questions have started again, even if they always get the same non-replies.
    Do MPs get to ask follow up questions?

janice, Snow Leopard, Barry and 6 others like this.
  16. NelliePledge

They can ask as many written questions as they like although if it’s been answered before the answer can just refer back to previous responses. The responses like replies to MPs letters are put together by junior civil servants. Interesting these have come from a shadow minister the responses will likely have been seen at a more senior level in the civil service before going to the Minister’s office for approval. It’s only really oral questions and PMQs that has any interest up the ranks.

17. rvallee

And what is the share of real research? 1%? 2%? Almost all of this was wasted on unrelated psychosocial fluff that does not qualify as credible science. Even the biobank is NIH-funded.

Still, even if that money actually had been spent on research it would be insulting and even then 90%+ of that insult is the double insult of not only spending so little but actually wasting it deliberately. Because we see that often, psychosocial ideologues saying that it has been researched for decades and hasn't yielded results, which is a reason to stop medical research funding, despite psychosocial approaches having yielded regression, which is somehow a reason to only fund their alternative discredited approach.

So when people point out that research has not progressed, well, you have to fund it first, research doesn't fund itself or magically produce useful findings by pretending to.

18. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone account for all that money. It’s different to the figures we use.

In 2017-18 on the bbc news round (which unfortunately didn’t challenge the numbers spinning) , the official government statement was £3.5 m in past six years I think, so where’s it apparently all sprung from? For the £3.5 I was thinking it included fitnet etc, so In other words , total irrelevance to most of us.

19. Sly Saint

from 2006 to 2016
    "
    Of the 20 grants identified in Table 2 above, Prof
    Peter White (Queen Mary University of London and
    Barts Health NHS Trust) has received most funding,
    more than £3.5 million. Prof White and Dr
    Crawley [£2.3 million] each hold four grants as principal applican
    ts, so that eight of the 20 grants awarded were
    held by two recipients."
    https://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/mecfs-research-funding-report-2016.pdf

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  20. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those figures were from 2006 so a bit different time frame

ladycatlover likes this.